What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Help: RV-7A value

cory stock

I'm New Here
A friend of mine unexpectedly passed away this weekend, we were both building 7A's. My pockets aren't deep enough for both. Myself and another local RV'er are going to try our best to assist his wife with the plane situation.
At this point I'm just trying to get a rough idea what an assembled emp, wings, and fuse might go for, I don't spend much time on the list and am not really up on things.
Good workmanship, napa primed with rustoleum interior. Plenty of extra stuff, but I'm just worried about the plane itself for now - I need to inventory everything.
Also any advise on the legalities of selling a homebuilt assembled by someone else would be helpful.
Thanks, cory 7A Fuse

Sorry to hear that news.

From what I have seen, until the airplane flys you are probably looking at hoping to recoup around the cost invested in parts and get little to nothing from the labor. Just what I have noticed. Perhaps you could get closer to the quickbuild price but I would not figure much more.

With RV's it certainly seems (or course who knows where someone actually sells from the original asking price) that the value goes up once it is flying and then of course would be related to preceived quality and equipment/setup.

You can sell one completed or not but if it's mostly finished then the guy purchasing it really should not be able to get the repairman's certificate for it. That would really be up to him or her to either attempt to do or not.

Scott - N598SD Flying - 52 hours

Sad news

Sorry to hear of the passing of your friend.

First, there is no hurry here. Take your time with it and gather everything together. He probably kept pretty good records of his expenditures. It would be my recommendation to start there with the major components. Some of the extras will just be an incentive to someone, but won't necessarily bring any more money. We would all like to think our craftmanship will bring something more than the base value of the kit, but ask the insurance companies what they think - just the sum of the parts until it flies, or is real close. So if he did a slow build, start with the slow build price, look at what it would have cost QB and you *Might* be able to get close to that. But not likely you will get full QB price for it even with good workmanship. Every option does not add that much beyond helping sell it more quickly. The next builder is going to be making some concessions in accepting some of the choices the original builder made. So if you add everything up and he has done part of it slow build, chances are you'll be able to get all the money he spent on it back for his widow. Don't forget tools too, most builders will want to get them as well.

There are drawbacks in buying a kit partially completed, no one really knows what they are getting until they start working with it - even with an inspection. If the price is too close to a quick build there is little incentive in buying it from an unknown builder.Don't flame me guys. Just my humble opinion.

I think I would just as soon my wife got a little less from it if she could be more certain that it would fly some day and not just sit in a garage, so I would take that into consideration too.

Stewart
"building another builders (abandoned) dream"

My regards

:( I'm really sorry for this man's spouse. 20 years ago my wife passed away from leukemia and I know how she feels. Where is the plane located at?? I may be interested

Steve Garland 4254785456

Back