What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Help needed with rivet cutter

FlyingArcher

Well Known Member
Well,

Here I am trying to shorten some AN470-4-5 rivets into -4.5 length with my very nice rivet cutter purchased long time ago from Avery.

And I think I really need Rivet Cutter for Dummies :confused:

Can someone show me some pictures of how to use this tools efficiently? I can't figure out how to set the cutting length to the required size, or maybe the tool range starts just above the value I need :mad:

Any help appreciated.

That is probably too fine of a cut for the cutter to shear the rivet clean.
You might try a file or belt sander.

I completely removed the swing-out-guages...

...from the tool. I never could get the things to work as I thought they should. Instead...if I have a bunch of rivets to cut (and they are all the same length), then I either use a stack of small washers, or a nut if that works, or some small tubing. All of these items are cut or stacked to a length that allows the rivet to be cut to the desired length. These items replace the function of the rotating gauges.

After a while, you will get a feel for how much needs to be cut off just by looking at the "back" side of the cutter and seeing the relationship between unaltered rivet and its position in the cutter.

It is difficult if not impossible for your average rivet cutter to cleanly shear and transform a -5 length rivet into a -4.5 length rivet.

Not all rivet cutters are manufactured to the same quality standards. I cannot comment on the type sold by Avery but I can suggest the following as generally applicable to most rivet cutters I have used:

It is much easier to accurately shear a long rivet into a much shorter length. For instance, if you want to make a -4.5 length rivet, you will likely find it is easier to do if you choose and insert a longer rivet into the cutter such as a -8 or -9 instead of trying to shear a -5 or even a -6 rivet.

Try that and report the results. Good luck.

Unlucky!

Thanks to all for your answers.

1 - I had to reinstall the gauges, they were inverted. I mean, when you operate the handle, the gauges tend to turn clockwise and mine were with the dent on the left, thus leaving the rivet insead of pushing it firmly...
2 - Rick, you're right, it works much better with a longer rivet.
3 - All of this was useless for my specific today purpose, because the minimum gauge gives a -5 length :mad:

Anyway, the good thing is that now I know how this tool works :D

Cheers and hope to meet some of you guys in Osh, I've bought my tickets for the Van's bbq

Back