What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Help needed with APRS chip

Webb

Well Known Member
Sponsor
Built an antenna, wired power, wired the DC9, made a patch cord for connection to the computer. Hooked up the battery for testing, could hear the transmitter over the computer speakers. Ran the config according to Sam's instructions. Hooked the gps antenna to it and the LED light was blinking. Set it up outside and checked it after 10 minutes and for the next 30 and got nothing.

Checked all connections with a volt/ohm meter to make sure all circuits are isolated. Checked the patch cord and it is correct with proper pin to proper pin.

I am beginning to think that the chip never got set properly from the computer. My gut is telling me that when I saved the configuration, it just kept it on my hard drive and didn't update the chip.

Here comes the question....;

Once you run the config setup, how can you determine the transmitter chip gets programmed?

Read back configuration

Webb,

Assuming you are talking about a Micro-Trak or TinyTrak product, you can read back the configuration you entered from the configuration software, assuring that you have written to the chip.

Question: Does the green LED eventually stay on solidly when your GPS is connected?

Allen
VHS

Synapse loss

Webb,

Assuming you are talking about a Micro-Trak or TinyTrak product, you can read back the configuration you entered from the configuration software, assuring that you have written to the chip.

Question: Does the green LED eventually stay on solidly when your GPS is connected?

Allen
VHS

Sorry - not all brain connections working - it is the Microtrak 300 mW transmitter.

As far as read back - I don't see another "drive" showing to look for it. Also, when I go to save the configuration I just set up, it is going to a subfolder. When I try to open that file, it won't open.

As far as green light - I'll check this morning. I put the thing in a hobby box and have to open it. Done - Green light stays on

I will also go back and "double check" the pin connections since the unit has a male 9 and the patch cable has to be a female on both ends. Only pins 2-5 are used. Done - all pins correct. Did remove pin 4 jump since it was the 5v for the gps and won't need for computer connection. Noticed this on Pete's picture.

Assuming all connections are correct, it has to be the programmer (me) trying to get the chip configured. Tried to config again. Clicked on Read Version and the Microtrak is not being seen by the computer. Tried all COM's and no luck.

Bottom line - everything looks look to go. Checked all connections under a magnifier and all wires on proper pin #. Computer just not seeing the chip.

Now What?

Last edited:
Sorry - not all brain connections working - it is the Microtrak 300 mW transmitter.

As far as read back - I don't see another "drive" showing to look for it. Also, when I go to save the configuration I just set up, it is going to a subfolder. When I try to open that file, it won't open.

As far as green light - I'll check this morning. I put the thing in a hobby box and have to open it. Done - Green light stays on

I will also go back and "double check" the pin connections since the unit has a male 9 and the patch cable has to be a female on both ends. Only pins 2-5 are used. Done - all pins correct. Did remove pin 4 jump since it was the 5v for the gps and won't need for computer connection. Noticed this on Pete's picture.

I've found extensive instructions on building the unit, antenna, setting the config file, how to get a ham license if you don't have one, but very little on transfer of that file to the unit.

Assuming all connections are correct, it has to be the programmer (me) trying to get the chip configured.

Looks like the config sticky needs some amending to add info about reading/writing config files. I thought the Byonics doc was pretty self-explanatory but.......... :)

Webb, are you positive you crossed pins 2 and 3 in the config cable you built? This is essential so it will function as a null modem. The wire from pin 2 on one connector must go to 3 on the other, and 3 on the other goes to 2 on the first connector.

The "read configuration" function of the config software is for reading the config that resides on the tracker chip. "Load" is what you would use to access a config file on your local computer. "Save" is for keeping a copy of your config file on your computer.

If your computer is syncing with the tracker, when you hit "read configuration" you should see the current configuration on the tracker. To transfer changes you make in the config software program to your tracker, use the "write configuration" function. You can then run "read" to verify the changes made it to the tracker.

But if you don't have your cable set up as a null modem, this ain't gonna work.

Null Modem issue

I wouldn't know what a null modem is if it bit me in the behind. Thanks for the assistance.

You were correct. Switched wires 2 and 3 on the patch cord and it worked. The chip took the configuration.

I expect it will work since everything else appears in order and the chip took the settings. I'll test it out a little later when I have to run an errand.

BTW - All info has been great. Your sticky info was outstanding. Only suggestion would be a how to on the wiring.

I'm glad you didn't write how to build a bomb. We could be in trouble!!!

I wouldn't know what a null modem is if it bit me in the behind. Thanks for the assistance.

You were correct. Switched wires 2 and 3 on the patch cord and it worked. The chip took the configuration.

I expect it will work since everything else appears in order and the chip took the settings. I'll test it out a little later when I have to run an errand.

BTW - All info has been great. Your sticky info was outstanding. Only suggestion would be a how to on the wiring.

Very good, Webb!

Don't expect much from the MT-300 on the ground, I never was able to get anything to the network from my car. But it will work great once you get airborne.

Thanks again

You were correct about the ground coverage. Jackson has several repeaters here but I didn't hit one of them on a 5 mile round trip errand.

I also like the idea of a 300mw xmiter since it won't be as likely to step on somebody else's transmission.

Should be taking a flight later in the week and I'll give it a try them.

My ham call sign is AD4AC and that will be correct. N32WW will not be correct but since its a message and not the call sign, I'm not concerned.

Again, thanks and every bit of this is your fault (LOL!!!)

Micro-Trak config

Sam,

Thanks for getting Webb up to speed. FYI, Byonics has very few Micro-Trak 300's left in stock, so now would be the time if anyone wants one. (when they are gone, they are sold out forever) We are getting quite a few inquiries about MT-300's due to Sams outstanding article in Kitplanes magazine. Thanks Sam!

Allen
VHS

Sam,

Thanks for getting Webb up to speed. FYI, Byonics has very few Micro-Trak 300's left in stock, so now would be the time if anyone wants one. (when they are gone, they are sold out forever) We are getting quite a few inquiries about MT-300's due to Sams outstanding article in Kitplanes magazine. Thanks Sam!

Allen
VHS

This doesn't seem right, it's always possible for Byonics to build more, right? Is there a critical component that's been discontinued or is a new tracker product coming out to replace it?

Vern

This doesn't seem right, it's always possible for Byonics to build more, right? Is there a critical component that's been discontinued or is a new tracker product coming out to replace it?

Vern

No need for concern, Vern, lots of goodies in the pipeline.

The available tracker once the MT-300 and MT-8000 is gone is the MT-8000FA which is shipping now. In addition to the 8000FA, Allen has a neat little "aviation" tracker in the works that will have all the current features plus some more things that we like in a tracker.

More info here about the MT-8000FA which is available now:

http://www.byonics.com/microtrak/mt8000fa.php

Config sticky has been updated with info on how to build the simple null cable:

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=31660

Can't guarantee things won't still bite you on the behind but maybe this will eliminate one hazard. ;)

No need for concern, Vern, lots of goodies in the pipeline.

The available tracker once the MT-300 and MT-8000 is gone is the MT-8000FA which is shipping now. In addition to the 8000FA, Allen has a neat little "aviation" tracker in the works that will have all the current features plus some more things that we like in a tracker.

More info here about the MT-8000FA which is available now:

http://www.byonics.com/microtrak/mt8000fa.php

Nudge, nudge, wink wink, I know what your mean ;-)

The MT-300 is nice because I have the antenna in the baggage compartment. I don't want 8 or more Watts blasting the back of my head, even though the duty cycle is low.

I also have a 2m H/T + Nav/Com +++ (VXA-700, no longer available). It would provide the basis for an excellent APRS rig. Need a belly-mount antenna, though.

We look forward to more....

Vern

I am still waiting for the 10 GigaWatt unit that also shows the position of Rick G. when we go on trips. Can't count on the local approach to provide vectors.

Back