What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Help needed to Fly

DaveO

Well Known Member
In order for me to fly the first time i need to fly with a pilot for a 2 hours. It must be in a RV7A. I do not need a CFI only dual with a pilot and probably the owner of the 7A. This is an insurance requirement. I have 1 hr in a RV7 and one hour in a 7A but I need 2 more hours. Otherwise I either cannot fly or do so without insurance on the hull.

I live in Central Indiana and would appreciate your consideration of this requirement.

Thanks
Dave Oakes
317-498-4296
[email protected]

Cant help with the flying, but it sounds like there is a congratulations due for getting the plane done:D

Thanks for the congratulation thought. The Airworthy Certificate was issued on Dec 21. Close to Christmas and then after Christmas we got a bunch of snow and then I, as planned spent 2 months in Florida.
I arrived at home this past Sunday and I find now that I need 2 hours of Dual.
So it seems that my wings are clipped still. But I will be patient and get it done.
Thanks
Dave

Dave, if the insurance company used the word "dual" they meant dual instruction from a cfi. It's hard to believe they want you to sit in someone's RV7's right seat and fly straight and level for two hours.
But the more important question is, do you feel prepared to be a test pilot?

Last edited:
Bob,
You are correct I do need a CFI. I just check with the insurance co.
This makes fulfilling the requirement even more difficult.
I feel ok to fly the first time, I was just wanting to have hull insurance for the first flight and fly off.
The only way I can do this is to fly to another state to complete the requirement. I know of a CFI in Indiana but his plane is a RV7. Cannot use him.

How does others do this. Self insured?

Bite the bullet, fly/drive/ride/walk to another state, and get proper transition training with a proper transition instructor, syllabus and all. It'll likely be the best money you ever spent.

training

Dave, I can highly recommend Tom Berge in the twin cities. He has a 7a. He has a web site if you search tom berge rv 7a it will come up. My insurance was very happy that I chose that route. His cell # is 612 418 9500 ( from his web site ) Thanks Ron

Thought about the EAA Flight Advisor program?

Dave,
Have you thought about the flight advisor program under the EAA?

Mel Asberry gave a very good presentation at our chapter meeting last night and I think it would be very beneficial for you (I know I will be taking advantage of it). It is a virtually unknown program, but very beneficial for homebuilders/pilots... Check the website for Flight Advisors in your area :
http://www.eaa.org/flightadvisors/

Congrats!

The EAA web site has a list of LODA holders (meaning they have a waiver to conduct transition training for hire in their aircraft).

Thanks for all your inputs guys.
I called Tom Berge and I was going to travel up North to him.
In the mean time I e-mailed my underwriter for my insurance carrier.
I told them I had 300+ hours in a tail wheel and I could find a CFI but he was in a RV7 not a 7A of which I was having trouble finding a 7A close by.
After a little time the insurance carrier changed their mind, and is now allowing me to fly the time in a 7. I have 700_ hr in a nose wheel. The extra time even in the 7 will be of value. I will post when the first flight occurs.
Thanks again,
Dave

Back