What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

help needed on 90 degree air drill

izzybear

Well Known Member
Friend
I have been watching ebay for a good deal on a cheap-er 90 degree air drill. I have seen here on the VAF threads that they are good for getting into tight spots and for drilling out bad rivets, etc...so my question is this: I am seeing all types of RPM's, from 2100 to 5200+. Will the 2100 do the trick or do I need more RPM's - and if so, how many do I need, 3200, 4200...6200 only?? I don't think I will go to the slower speed drills (300 - 600 rpm), but was just wondering about the higher speed options. Thanks for your guidance!
Jim

I agree with Lorne. Get the small adaptor. I have both this style and a full-on air powered angle drill. During the build, the small adaptor was more useful because of its smaller head size.

Full disclosure: I like tools. That said, I used the small adapter through most of a standard build. You will need some sort of close quarters angle drill. I recently got a dedicated angle drill on the big auction site and really wished I had it earlier. The head is as small or maybe a little smaller than the adaptor plus it's smaller overall and easier to control.

2100rpm should be just fine. The "preferred by many" air drill advertised to the left at Brown Tool is the Sioux 1410 at 2600rpm.

I bought the Avery tool kit and let me say I'd do it again - Bob Avery gives great service, seems to be as honest as the day is long, and frankly, went out of his way to help me with a tool issue a few years ago. I like the company and the man behind it and can't say enough good about them both. But the right angle drill attachment is one of two tools in the kit that I would not re-order, if I was doing it again.

My right angle attachment gave up the ghost near the end of the fuselage build and I'd say it has at most, light usage. I'm going to replace it with a dedicated tool. In general, for drilling aluminum, you're looking for high speed, and for steel, low speed. For as little as this tool is needed compared to standard drill, I'm not sure the speed range makes a whole lot of difference.

Thanks!

Lornegreen and rzbill:
I appreciate the input on the dedicated drill as well as the attachment. I hadn't really given the attachment much thought - but I'm glad to know it's a good option.

Larrynew and Don:
Thanks for the input on the drill and the guidance that the 2100 rpm will do the trick. I like tools too, but am also in the newbie-second-guessing stage as I prepare for this journey...

So, I'm glad to find guys on both sides of the issue - liking their tool choice. It's kinda like the slider/tip-up, taildragger/tri-gear, Tandem/SBS "discussions" - there are pros and cons to both!

Right angle adapter ...

I got a used right angle adapter from The Yard and it has worked like charm. Better yet, it was comparatively cheap.

Keep looking on e-bay.

I bought a package of three for about $110 thinking I could use the parts to get at least one good one.

All three were functional - keep looking...:)

Back