What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Help: Mounting Horizontal Stabilizer

PhatRV

Well Known Member
Patron
I am having a heck of a time bolting the forward spar of the horizontal stabilizer. How did you guys insert the nuts inside the fuse? From the frame openings, it is a contorsionist exercise to squeeze my hand and blindly fit the nuts which the bolt often failed to catch. I've been at this thing for 3 hours and could only get one nut to go in. Both of my forearms are full of welts trying every which way to fit the nuts. What is the method did you use? I can't squeeze inside 08 fuselage with my fat behind unless I want to be stuck in the aft fuselage.

These are the nuts I am talking about.

Attachments

• elevator.JPG
    elevator.JPG
    157.3 KB · Views: 137
Yep, here an extra joint or two in the wrist would go a long way.

Things I do:
- Raise the tail so the plane is level.
- Stand on a block or such so that you have full arm extension into the airplane.
- Hold the nut and washer as on element. Here a little piece of tap on the sides of the nut and washer comes in handy.
- Once you get two fingers to move the nut and washer under the bolt hole, have a buddy start the bolt. You will find one side of the plane works best for each side the forward spar nuts.
- Once started it is easy to hold a box end wrench on the nut.

Carl

Glue

Grab a scrap bolt. Put a tiny dab of superglue on the nutnor washer then thread it on the scrap bolt till it sets up. It will keep the pair together an aligned so you don't have to fight them falling off.

Back