What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Help me understand Wght/Bal issues for my -6A

WenEng

Well Known Member
Patron
I will have my -6A with an IO360, cold air induction sump, Whirlwind 200RV prop, battery on the firewall, glass cockpit. With your histories, should I be expecting CG issues when full fuel and two passengers loaded to gross? I have read interesting threads where there are differing views on gross weight limits for the -6A, but I'm just trying to get a sense what CG issues I might expect with this setup. Does the opposite exist as well? minimum fuel and single occupant.

I know this doesn't answer you question, but...

Every aircraft is different. One thing you need to remember; In an RV-6/A fuel is the only variable that is forward of the normal C/G.
Your most forward C/G will be with maximum fuel, minimum baggage and minimum people. Burning off fuel will move the C/G aft. Heavier people and baggage will move the C/G aft.

I will have my -6A with an IO360, cold air induction sump, Whirlwind 200RV prop, battery on the firewall, glass cockpit. With your histories, should I be expecting CG issues when full fuel and two passengers loaded to gross? I have read interesting threads where there are differing views on gross weight limits for the -6A, but I'm just trying to get a sense what CG issues I might expect with this setup. Does the opposite exist as well? minimum fuel and single occupant.

Timely question - I was talking with Mike Hilger (tech counselor) about this just yesterday. He echoed what Mel suggested above - a little nose heavy w/full fuel and just you is a good thing since everything else will move the CG aft. I was going to put the ELT further back but based on his suggestion I'm reconsidering doing so. My -6A is similar to yours, save for a Hartzell BA prop instead of the Whirlwind.

Back