What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Help Me Plan a MN Kayak/Canoe Float

RV7ator

Well Known Member
Howdy,

We'd like to do a one-day float/paddle on one of the water trails in the Twin Cities area. Suggestions for the pilot-perfect location for this epic event would be greatly appreciated. Desired characteristics: Beginner water but still scenic, nearby airport with car rental or an outfitter willing to fetch us, lodging and food available though we could fly away for these in the p.m.

Thanks.

John Siebold

Since no one answered yet I'll comment, but unfortunately I can't offer any good answers. The Twin Cities is a great place in the summer, but the Cities isn't necessarily a great place for a canoe float. There are way more boaters than canoeists. I have seen people canoe down Minnehaha creek, but that is an urban setting and a lot of low bridges. The big rivers are not all that scenic as they pass through town.

Not too far away though is the St. Croix. The St.Croix is very scenic and can even claim pretty good fishing. Long ago I camped and canoed there, and it was quite nice, but someone else made all the arrangements.

Based on the number of outfitters in Minneapolis on the list at the link below, I sounds like some people go through the cities though. Maybe that will help.

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/watertrails/outfitters.html#

Here is one you might give a call to. The St. Croix is a nice river for canoe/kayak. You will get canoes from them, paddle down river (south), and they will pick you up at one of several places, depending on how far you want to go. The Osceola, WI airport (KOEO) is maybe 8 miles from the rental place, and one of the pick up areas is very close to Osceola. You might be able to talk their driver into picking you up. Enjoy!

This is probably too late for you, I'm guessing you have already made the trip, but I know the perfect canoe trip/ kayak trip for you near the twn cities. Let me know if you have not made the trip yet and I will give you the details.
John Field
[email protected]

Back