What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Help me fix a mistake - RV-9 Tip-up model

Loman

Well Known Member
I was too hasty in cutting off the aft end of the F-745 forward fuselage ribs(the fore/aft ones that support the middle of the panel) in order to relocate them span-wise. Now I am having dificulty in precisely locating the panel in the fore/aft plane so as to match drill the attach angles to the forward canopy decks at the sides.

Could somebody measure and report the length of BOTTOM FLANGE of this rib for me so that I can work out how exactly much length was lost in the cutting and clean-up?

The reason for preferring the measurement of the bottom flange is that it is easier to measure with precision and the overall rib length might vary depending on the exact angle of the end flanges.

I would really appreciate this information so, hopefully, somebody who has this rib in an un-cut state will be in their shop tonight and will get the measurement for me.

8.75"

Hi Loman,

Not sure if the -7 is the same as the -9 (but I think it is).

On my -7 tip-up, the measurements from the sub-panel, along the bottom flange of the F-745 (aft section) to the aft face of the bottom of the F-745 aft flange is 8.75".
Just to be clear, this measurement is NOT square to the sub-panel or the aft flange, but along the bottom flange.

The measurement along the top flange is 8.5".

Note that I have already cut and repositioned this section of the F-745 on my plane. In fact I've added two more for a total of four panel-to-sub-panel supports.

The aft face of those panel support angles on the side-deck are also 8.5" aft of the sub-panel.

Hope that is of some use.

Steve

Back