What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

help..intercom static.

n213wt

:confused:RV4-180-fixed wood, Static in system......tried 2 portable intercoms and static gets so bad at cruise couldn't hear passenger.

Pilot com OK with controllers, only com with passenger.

Bought panel mount (EQ SPA 400) and installed per mfg. instructions.

Com great at taxi and low speeds. In the air, I have to throttle back to 21-2300 rpm to com with passenger. Power up to 2650 cruise and static is so great squelch at max. is inop.

Lower rpms both vol. and squelch are OK and operate as should.

Someone said, "filter on rear of alternator may be culprit".:confused:

Filter on alternator could, I see they also make filters for mags as well. Have you tried to use the intercom with the alternator off? I used to have a portable intercom in my Luscombe, if it wasn't grounded it'd make the same static at the same rpms you're describing. A few thoughts for ya...

Static

Have you tried a different headset in the back, or possibly both positions. Could be that one mic isn't noise canceling?????????????

Jacks in the intercom or remote somewhere. I had a jack that was not centered well in its panel hole (actually, seat backrest) and was shorting to the airframe. The washers are supposed to center the jacks, but that lip is real shallow. Once I centered it properly static disappeared.

Back