What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Help in choosing engine for RV-7A

andrew phillips

Well Known Member
I need to make an engine/prop choice for my 7A as the finish kit is coming soon! I would love to go with the 200hp IO-360 or the 390 but these engines are $8-$10k more than a 180hp IO-360. I will most likely have Aerosport build my engine. I think the Hartzell c/s prop seems like the best bet especially with future service costs in mind. I will probaby go with at least one electronic ignition.

The question to those who are flying is what engine/prop combination would you recommend (cost considered!) from your experience and what to avoid.

Thanks!

Andrew

Engine Selection

Andrew:

I wanted to make sure that you know that when you are talking about the price difference in the 200 hp 360 or the IO-390, you're looking at a verticle induction 180 hp 360 and not the forward facing induction. If you are sold on the forward facing induction, the price difference diminishes somewhat.

Good luck!

Engine choice

The overall advantage of doing a 200hp engine does not outweigh the additional cost, weight and fuel consumption. You will only gain a few knots of AS. (See Dan's numbers) Also, as Rhonda noted, know the type of induction as it will make a difference in construction of the front end!!

Regarding engine choices, there are so many fine engine choices available in the US. It really comes down to which company makes you feel good. Customer service is key to me, since the price and performance of all of the Lyc clones is going to be very similar.

I chose ECI for the above reason and I had a local rep. Next would be Barrett Precision. The others fall from there based on first hand conversations with them at OSH.

Please keep in mind that Aerosport is a great company with many satisfied customers. I talked to them at Osh a few years ago. I'm just a buy American kind of guy, plus you avoid Customs Charges!!

I think you will find many reasons for many folks casting their votes in many different ways. You are getting into horse race country here. I cast 29,000, one-dollar votes for a TMX-IO-360 vertical draft with a Hartzel.

Consider all the issues and make your own dollar-conscious decision:

Constant speed or fixed pitch - weight and cost as opposed to performance.

IO or O - economy when LOP and no carb ice versus cost and complexity and weight.

180, 200 or 210 hp - a little bit of difference in cruise but not much, improvement in vertical performance in exchange for big cost and weight difference.

Vertical or horizontal draft (IO consideration) - aesthetics (to each his own but I like the looks of the vertical draft cowl) and cost versus a bit more power.

In the end, you can go with a new O-360, fixed pitch and a Sensenich for around $23,400 or a 200 HP IO-360 with a Hartzel for $41,500 (based on today's prices from a major builder's site). This is a stark demonstration of the price differences the decision entails.

For me, buying a vertical draft IO-360 with a Hartzel was the best performance/cost equation for my mission. Cruise, climb and takeoff distance got their biggest improvements by spending the extra $4000 on the CS prop. The extra ponies would have cost many extra Benjamin's and not provided the performance per dollar as did the CS prop.

Like I said, you're entering the area of opinions. Buy what you can afford and meets your needs.

As per the EI, P-mag seems to be a great product that is small, light weight, unobtrusive, reliable and fully self powered at over 700-800 rpm. E-mag has the above qualities except for the self-powered feature. Using one of each seems to provide an inexpensive means for installing EI that works in all regimes and will continue working without outside power. I bought 1 of each on my TMX for an additional cost of $705 after the credits for the standard ignition. My untrained opinion is that the main reason for retaining 1 standard mag is to eliminate the risk that an electrical failure could cause loss of power. This is fixed by installing 1 P-mag, so in for an ounce, in for a pound.

Jekyll

Last edited:
I have a Van's spec'd new Lycoming 0-360 A1A with the Hartzell BA C/S prop (74"). For simplicity of installation and overall great performance, this setup is hard to beat. I easily exceed Van's performance numbers.

Roberta

andrew phillips said:
I need to make an engine/prop choice for my 7A as the finish kit is coming soon! I would love to go with the 200hp IO-360 or the 390 but these engines are $8-$10k more than a 180hp IO-360. I will most likely have Aerosport build my engine. I think the Hartzell c/s prop seems like the best bet especially with future service costs in mind. I will probaby go with at least one electronic ignition.

The question to those who are flying is what engine/prop combination would you recommend (cost considered!) from your experience and what to avoid.

Thanks!

Andrew

I'm engine shopping too! I'm building a straight 7 and leaning towards an IO-360 p/h... possibly 9:1 compression... and possibly with one electronic ignition and B/A CS prop. I'm interested in comments as to this choice and recommendations as to ignition and FI. I'm dreaming of a forward facing sump but it looks like I'll bust my budget. :confused:

AeroSport Power OVERHAULED IO-360-A1B6 (new cyls & new crank). Thank me later. :) Why pay for NEW when you can get "better than new" for considerably less? At least that's one way to rationalize going with the 200hp angle valve engine.

Oh, btw...I know at least 3 people who have vertical induction who this very day wish they had horizontal... (thank me later)

What are you getting?

robertahegy said:
I have a Van's spec'd new Lycoming 0-360 A1A with the Hartzell BA C/S prop (74"). For simplicity of installation and overall great performance, this setup is hard to beat. I easily exceed Van's performance numbers.

Roberta

Roberta, would you mind letting me know what numbers you are seeing at 8000' 75% power with your set up. Thanks a bunch.

rgbewley said:
Just a quick question. When did you purchase your engine? Curious . . .
Early 2003. From what people have been telling me after I made my previous posts, the angle valve IO-360 has sorta dried up, in terms of being able to find reliable cores for overhaul. I haven't heard that directly from engine shops, just from other builders, so take it with a grain of salt.

Back