What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Help! How do I get the face off the A210?

cjensen

Well Known Member
I have the A210 temp installed in my panel, but I can't get the face of the radio off to get to the tray screw...

The instructions say to use a 3/32 allen wrench or driver to loosen the screws on either side of the face of the radio. Well, I can't feel anything in there that resembles a screw head. The face is on there as tight as can be, so I apparently don't have the screws out yet, but I gotta make I'm doing this right...

Mike Bullock has the same problem, and we need the solution...

TIA...:cool:

The holes are easily seen in this picture-

12-17-08-003w.jpg

An allen screw on each side. Remove the front carefully, then pull the tape out of the plastic socket (on the circuit board). Just don't pull on the plastic itself. Only the elect. ribbon (tape) comes out.

L.Adamson

Last edited:
Yeah, I know there are allen screws on either side...I just can't seem to loosen them, or I'm not even getting the driver on them...:confused::confused:

The instructions are very clear, easy to understand how it comes off...I just can't seem to do it...

Hmmmm....I haven't had mine off since I installed it Chad, but I don't rememebr it being tricky. Have you ever had it off? It could be that they tightened the screws down at the factory a bit more vigorously than they should have? When I have trouble getting an Allen wrench into an avionics box, I pull out my entire set of wrenches, starting with a really tiny one, and start working up (through both English and Metric) until I definitely feel it engage.

I don't think I'm helping you much though - I suspect you already know that....

Paul

I took mine out of the plane yesterday for a new avionics stack install. It's now out in the garage, and I'll make sure it's 3/32" in a few minutes.

L.Adamson

I haven't had it off yet, so these are factory set screws...I'll get my allen set out tonight and work at it that way...

I haven't had it off yet, so these are factory set screws...I'll get my allen set out tonight and work at it that way...

Yep, they are 3/32" allen screws. Just two. Another one is inside that holds the main body to the tray. It has no effect on removing the front. When you get the cover loose, just pull it away a few inches until you get the ribbon tape removed. And as I said, don't pull on the plastic socket. It doesn't come out, just the ribbon tape.

L.Adamson

Chad, Don't try an allen head with the ball end on it. The wrench has to be flat on the end. I know, I've had the face off mine more times than I can count!! The ball end wrenches must not be getting enought bite, or the screw heads are shallower than standard

LOL...funny you posted that Dave...I just figured it out this evening, and came to post my findings...;)

The head of the screw looks like this...

Allen-headw.jpg

So, no, the ball allen driver won't work-

12-18-08-003w.jpg

After I figured that out, it was a simple matter of using the standard allen wrench, and the face came off with ease...

12-18-08-001w.jpg

:cool:

'Nother heads up.

Just a quick word of caution here, a lot of electronics use Bristol spline set screws.

As your instructions stated Allen wrench, this is not an issue.

If you folks run into a small funny looking allen set screw, beware, it just might actually be a Bristol.

The only place I have ever found them was control knobs-------Narco, Bendix King.

Hopefully Stein will add a couple of pennies worth.

Mike is right, there are a few oddballs out there, and as a whole we try not to use ball end Allens on avioncis, because quite a few of them are similar and the ball end allens many times won't work. If we get ball end allens, I usually "remove" the ball end.

Also note that while 99% of the avionics/EFIS mfgrs in the world use 3/32" for avionics mounting (King, Garmin, GRT, AFS, IK, Icom, PS Engineering, EI, vertical power, OP Tech, Avidyne and almost all others), Dynon for whatever reason uses the oddball 7/64" allen - naturally they supply it, but still it's a weird size that is a bit of a pain when you're used to using one tool for all of the avionics in a panel.

I suppose I should note that we are not huge fans of the "removable face" 210 radio. I don't have a problem in general with the removable face, but as a nut about connectors I really, really don't like the "friction' type ribbon cable connector that has nothing else holding it in other than friction. Time may prove me wrong, but I'm guessing the long term reliabiliy of this connection will invite some gremlins down the road.

My 1/2 a cent this time!

Cheers,
Stein

Last edited:
IC-A210 Ribbon Cable

I have an Icom IC-A210 and love the radio and it's features.

Even the intercom works well.

The biggest weakness is the ribbon cable connecting the removable front panel to the radio.

The ribbon cable is a push-fit into the connectors, and after the ribbon cable has been removed and replaced a couple of times the ribbon cable end gets frayed and causes problems.

It is a good idea to buy a couple of spare ribbon cables (about $5 each).

This ribbon cable with friction push fit connector is the weakest part of the radio and a very dumb design idea.

Peter

Back