What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

HELP, GTR20 NO AUDIO

Larry DeCamp

Well Known Member
Friend
No audio to headset. Transmit works great. Can Bus works showing Tx and Rx on G3x touch screen. Handheld and two different headsets confirmed working. Wiring & pinouts confirmed min. 4 times.
Mark ( G3x support) agrees either replace it or try " bread boarding" on the bench to eliminate wiring concerns. So I did:
Power and Can Bus are the only connection to aircraft harness; Both work.
A new headset receptacle and wiring installed directly into the radio with 3 pin out confirms and headset proven to work.
Squelch set to 0 in config, tested with SQ and no SQ on screen, no joy so zero to ten options must not be promising ??
You can hear a pop in the headset switching Com on and off.

Ideas to try ?? Otherwise, I order another radio Monday .

A new headset receptacle and wiring installed directly into the radio with 3 pin out confirms and headset proven to work.

What does the above mean? Audio out is only high/low?
Thanks John, I forgot to mention G3x volume was ranged from 50% to 95%, no joy. Headset 100% both DClark and Bose 20A.
Stereo or Mono headsets/Plugs, radio only outputs mono (usually to audio panel).

I wasnt being sarcastic when I recommended to turn up the volume. I went thru this same thing, but it turns out my volume was set too low and the audio panel would not pick it up, or something like that. If you have a audio panel, try the speaker output too. I had another problem with my headset and I switched in the speaker and could hear the radio. In that case, it turns out one of my audio plugs was shorting out when the headset was unplugged. I have since switched over to LEMO plugs and got rid of those pesky radio jacks from the 60's.

No audio to headset. Transmit works great. Can Bus works showing Tx and Rx on G3x touch screen. Handheld and two different headsets confirmed working. Wiring & pinouts confirmed min. 4 times.
Mark ( G3x support) agrees either replace it or try " bread boarding" on the bench to eliminate wiring concerns. So I did:
Power and Can Bus are the only connection to aircraft harness; Both work.
Squelch set to 0 in config, tested with SQ and no SQ on screen, no joy so zero to ten options must not be promising ??
You can hear a pop in the headset switching Com on and off.

G3X-IM, rev AV, pg 25:2. figure 25:1.
5. ISOLATE JACK SLEEVE (MOUNTING NUT AND NUT PLATE) FROM AIRCRAFT CHASSIS.
NOTE 5. AUDIO JACK ISOLATION DIAGRAM

Good luck

G3X-IM, rev AV, pg 25:2. figure 25:1.
5. ISOLATE JACK SLEEVE (MOUNTING NUT AND NUT PLATE) FROM AIRCRAFT CHASSIS.
NOTE 5. AUDIO JACK ISOLATION DIAGRAM

Good luck
Good info but that would not cause a no audio problem.

What does the above mean? Audio out is only high/low?

Stereo or Mono headsets/Plugs, radio only outputs mono (usually to audio panel).
Thanks Walt. The jacks are wired stereo . DC headset plugs are mono for headset and stereo for mic plug. The Bose headset is both stereo plugs and micro switch is on mono. Tried it both mono and stereo, no joy. Both headsets work fine in my handheld.

Thanks Walt. The jacks are wired stereo . DC headset plugs are mono for headset and stereo for mic plug. The Bose headset is both stereo plugs and micro switch is on mono. Tried it both mono and stereo, no joy. Both headsets work fine in my handheld.
Try pulling the headset audio jack part way out.
How did you wire the mono audio out of the radio to the stereo jack?
(mic is not ‘stereo’, tip is ptt, ring is mic audio.)
Have a look at the GTR200 IM for jack installation, it’s the same radio as the 20.

Last edited:
Larry,

I don't see that you ever told us if you are using the GTR 20 internal intercom feature. I think you are since you seem to be wiring the stereo pilot/copilot headset jacks directly to the GTR 20 instead of an audio panel.

If you are using the internal intercom feature, make sure it is enabled in configuration.

Steve

Larry,

I don't see that you ever told us if you are using the GTR 20 internal intercom feature. I think you are since you seem to be wiring the stereo pilot/copilot headset jacks directly to the GTR 20 instead of an audio panel.

If you are using the internal intercom feature, make sure it is enabled in configuration.

Steve
Thanks Steve, the only out put physically is the pilot headset 3 wires to jack. I dont see the option to con fig intercom enabled. Where is it ?

Thanks Steve, the only out put physically is the pilot headset 3 wires to jack. I dont see the option to con fig intercom enabled. Where is it ?
Larry,

The GTR 20 configuration information is on page 30-171 (section 30.4.27.1) of the current Rev. AV G3X Touch Installation Manual.

The parameter to enable this feature is called "Internal Intercom".

Internal Intercom - Used to enable or disable the internal intercom. The internal intercom is intended for
use in aircraft where the GTR 20 is the radio and there is no separate audio panel or intercom. The internal
intercom must be disabled when used with a separate audio panel or intercom, and/or in a dual-radio installation.

The wiring diagram for a single GTR 20 radio using the internal intercom is on page 25-3 of the Rev. AV installation manual.

Steve

Last edited:
Also, I would sure you are wiring it up per the Garmin instructions. There is one schematic on line from a well known dealer that has the audio wires mislabeled. I caught it during my wiring check, before I started building the harness.

Larry,

The GTR 20 configuration information is on page 30-171 (section 30.4.27.1) of the current Rev. AV G3X Touch Installation Manual.

The parameter to enable this feature is called "Internal Intercom".

Internal Intercom - Used to enable or disable the internal intercom. The internal intercom is intended for
use in aircraft where the GTR 20 is the radio and there is no separate audio panel or intercom. The internal
intercom must be disabled when used with a separate audio panel or intercom, and/or in a dual-radio installation.

The wiring diagram for a single GTR 20 radio using the internal intercom is on page 25-3 of the Rev. AV installation manual.

Steve
Steve YOU nailed it ! One click on the config options and the radio works. BUT:

The options were you suggested were not available on my G3xTouch with software I down loaded a few weeks ago to start-up the radio and confirm wiring. . So, I pulled the SD card and down - loaded 9.33 to 9.41 update. The additional options Internal intercom etc were there. This comes after the radio is out, wire bundling is all disarrayed, pilot and pax receptacle are extracted and dangling.

VAF is AWSOME, thanks to all for your help (y)

The options were you suggested were not available on my G3xTouch with software I down loaded a few weeks ago to start-up the radio and confirm wiring. . So, I pulled the SD card and down - loaded 9.33 to 9.41 update. The additional options Internal intercom etc were there. This comes after the radio is out, wire bundling is all disarrayed, pilot and pax receptacle are extracted and dangling.

It's much more likely that you didn't have the radio powered on and connected to your display the first time you looked.

I don’t want to sound argumentative Mike because I have always respected your input. After Steve‘s suggestion , I tried numerous times and the options stopped after DISCRETE INPUT 2. Of desparation, I reloaded the software from Garmin and the more extensive options were there as described in rev AU and AV. My purpose is to tell my story, DON‘T GIVE UP. The brain trust is here for us but YOU MUST LEAD THE CHARGE 😊

Back