What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Help!! FAB and cutout for mixture lever

Dorfie

Well Known Member
Everything came together nicely when I built the FAB. I have the RSA-5 fuel servo. Included in the kit is a pre-formed piece to accommodate the mixture lever on the left side. Problem is the depth that I have to cut into the left side of the FAB is quite a bit more than the depth of the pre-formed piece. I have reviewed all the steps and I don't think I screwed up. Anyone else had a similar problem? Any solution to this?
Thanks.
Johan

I have the Precision Airmotive servo in the vertical position. I had a interference problem also. I think PA sells an special arm if you want to keep the mixture on the left. You can check with them, they can modify your servo with the mixture on the right. I didn't know they made and left and right mixture option so I bought the special mixture arm and cut the Air Box enough to clear. I hope this helps. Dan from Reno

Last edited:
I have the Precision Airmotive servo in the vertical position. I had a interference problem also. I think PA sells an special arm if you want to keep the mixture on the left. You can check with them, they can modify your servo with the mixture on the right. I didn't know they made and left and right mixture option so I bought the special mixture arm and cut the Air Box enough to clear. I hope this helps. Dan from Reno

Hi Dan,
I don't think placing the mixture lever on the right will work. The throttle lever is on the right and the bracket anchoring the mixture and throttle will have to be remanufactured. A special arm that places the link further to the left will work. I will look into that option.
Thank you.
Johan

mount above

Call Precision. They make a mixture lever that mounts above instead of below. No need to cut the FAB.

Call Precision. They make a mixture lever that mounts above instead of below. No need to cut the FAB.

Hi John,
I spoke with Precision. you get two lengths of the mixture arms, 1.625 and 2 inch. You get both lengths as a straight or offset arm. I believe the offset arm offsets one inch. Indecently, the throttle arms and mixture arms are interchangeable. The mixture arm points down.
Mounting the mixture arm above as you mentioned, and I assume you meant pointing up, will reverse the operation of said lever.
Don at Airflow performance overhauled my servo and he will swap my straight arm for an offset. I am still not confident this will clear the FAB. Will see when it gets here.
Thank you.
Johan

The prototype RV-10 has the offset arm and uses the closest hole.
The arm is shortened to remove the second (unused) hole.

Not readily apparent on FF3-2, but it does show just a single hole in the arm that is depicted.

The prototype RV-10 has the offset arm and uses the closest hole.
The arm is shortened to remove the second (unused) hole.

Not readily apparent on FF3-2, but it does show just a single hole in the arm that is depicted.

Thank you. Got the picture. I see the throttle link connects to the inside of the mixture arm, which reduces clearance. Does the prototype RV-10 have a cutout in FAB?
Johan

Thank you. Got the picture. I see the throttle link connects to the inside of the mixture arm, which reduces clearance. Does the prototype RV-10 have a cutout in FAB?
Johan

It has one just like what is supplied for the RV-10 kit.

Johninreno is correct. Precision does make an option for the mixture lever to be on the left and above the mixture shaft rather than below. It does not work in the opposite direction. Push the lever on the servo toward the front for rich and rearward for lean. I have this on my Superior IO360

Last edited:
Johninreno is correct. Precision does make an option for the mixture lever to be on the left and above the mixture shaft rather than below. It does not work in the opposite direction. Push the lever on the servo toward the front for rich and rearward for lean. I have this on my Superior IO360

Wish I could see what this looks like. Anyone with a picture or drawing? Strange they did not mention this when I specifically asked about it. Hope to find out more.
Johan

It's not just a lever, you would also need the servo modified to have the "reverse rotation" option. There are a couple of internal parts that are different.

It's not just a lever, you would also need the servo modified to have the "reverse rotation" option. There are a couple of internal parts that are different.

Thanks Bob. I now understand. Sounds costly but I will call Precision again. At this stage the FAB cutout seems the simpler option. What did you do on your RV10?
Johan

Back