What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Help. Crank Flange Bushing Removal tool and technique

Kahuna

Moderatoring
I have the need to remove some/all crank flange prop bolt bushings on my lyco for a prop clocking project. I toyed with this some time ago with a bolt and some oversized nuts and washers to pry it out but was not able to get one out. I need to remove 6 of them.
The gismo I made should have worked but didnt.

There is supposed to be a tool for this but I have never seen one, and cant find one on the web.

So 2 questions.
1. If you have experience removing these please lend me your technique. Big hammers? Heat? Right tool?
2. If you have one of these tools to lend out I would appreciate that too, or point me to where I can find one.

Thanks

bushings

A socket that will fit over the bushings, threaded rod at least 1/16" smaller than the bushing inside diameter and some nuts and washers. Socket goes behind the flange, threaded rod thru the socket and bushing, nut and washer on each end.Hold the nut on the back and turn the nut on the front.Technically I don't think you are supposed to reuse the bushings after removal.

bushings

Yeah, its probably just Lyc trying to sell some more expensive parts, just like the non stretch connecting rod bolts.

Back