What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Help bucking wing skins

Dave Taylor

Well Known Member
Guess who bucked these rivets on my wing skin yesterday?

My 8 year old daughter! I present to you the world's newest bucking master :) She did an awesome job. She checked each and every rivet. She would tell me if I needed to just give it a short blast or a medium blast. She loves working on the airplane ;)

Rosie the riviter!

What a great helper, and nice work!

I have two helpers-in-the-wings, my 11 and 14 year old daughters, and my wing riveting session is coming up in the next few months.

What was your set up? Back rivet with a big mushroom bucking bar, or standard with a mushroom set on the gun? If so, what sort of bar did you use? I want it to be an easy and successful riveting session, regardless of who my helper is!

Setup

Bill,
We started out by back riveting the spar. She did outstanding. I couldn't use the back rivet set on the ribs because it was my back rivet set is too short to get a good angle. I asked her if she wanted to try her hand at bucking. She was anxious to get started. Here is the bucking bar I used back riveting and traditional bucking:

It's awesome that you have two helpers! I have a 20 year old and a 17 year that could give a hoot about the airplane. They are always ribbing me about how I will never finish the airplane. But not my 8 year old. She's already talking paint schemes ;0)

What a great helper, and nice work!

I have two helpers-in-the-wings, my 11 and 14 year old daughters, and my wing riveting session is coming up in the next few months.

What was your set up? Back rivet with a big mushroom bucking bar, or standard with a mushroom set on the gun? If so, what sort of bar did you use? I want it to be an easy and successful riveting session, regardless of who my helper is!

Dave, Enjoy it while you can. When my youngest was 8 I had to run her out of the shop once because she wanted to abandon her own birthday party to help. Now, 15 years later, she's so "busy" that I have go on Facebook just to have any contact at all.:confused:

Hurry up and get to the bottom skins while her arms are still small enough to fit through the aft lightening hole in the main ribs!;)

Good advice Miles. When I dropped her off at school today she asked if she could buck some "ribbons" tonight. I'll take it for as long as I can get it!

Dave, Enjoy it while you can. When my youngest was 8 I had to run her out of the shop once because she wanted to abandon her own birthday party to help. Now, 15 years later, she's so "busy" that I have go on Facebook just to have any contact at all.:confused:

Hurry up and get to the bottom skins while her arms are still small enough to fit through the aft lightening hole in the main ribs!;)

Sage advice

Good advice Miles. When I dropped her off at school today she asked if she could buck some "ribbons" tonight. I'll take it for as long as I can get it!

Back