What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Help - ADSB wiring GTX330ES and GNS430W

SMO

Well Known Member
Friend
I have the GNS430 navigator and a new (to me) GTX330ES. I am replacing my GTX330 (non ES) with the ES version. I understand I need to connect an RS232 from the 430 to the 330 and have identified the pins and required settings in each unit. My questions are:

- Does the RS232 wire need to be shielded, and if so do I connect the shield to the back shells of both units? Or just one unit - and if so does it matter which one?
- Do I need a separate common wire - if so I believe it would tee into pin 50 on the 330 and to pin 77 or 78 on the 430 (P4001 connector) - Correct?

If all else fails read the manual - I downloaded the latest 330 manual which has the interconnect diagram for the ADSB out functionality and it is clear that a shielded cable is required, and the shield is to be grounded at both ends.

I have the GNS430 navigator and a new (to me) GTX330ES. I am replacing my GTX330 (non ES) with the ES version. I understand I need to connect an RS232 from the 430 to the 330 and have identified the pins and required settings in each unit. My questions are:

- Does the RS232 wire need to be shielded, and if so do I connect the shield to the back shells of both units? Or just one unit - and if so does it matter which one?
- Do I need a separate common wire - if so I believe it would tee into pin 50 on the 330 and to pin 77 or 78 on the 430 (P4001 connector) - Correct?
As I understand it, the GTX330ES pin 50 (Altitude common) is only used if you have a remote mounted altitude encoder with Gillham code. N/A.

Good luck

Back