What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hello from new guy Paul

PaulMcGhee

I'm New Here
Hi, just wanted to say hello and introduce myself.

I've been planning for years to build an RV-7A as my first post-retirement job after I say good-bye to ESPN in a few months.

I got sidetracked earlier in the year when I was diagnosed with cancer, and started telling myself that I didn't want to waste a year or two building an airplane when I could just buy one and start flying around the country. I've been pricing Mooney 252s and Cirrus SR22s. Most of my flying is in Mooneys, I cannot abide a slow airplane.

But all that certified airplane shopping has left me pretty unsatisfied, so I'm back here where I've lurked for years. I've decided that it might be slightly fun and maybe very satisfying to build, and get exactly the plane I want instead of overpaying for a bunch of unnecessary seats and a used engine with a mysterious history.

Plus, I'm better now since I was treated for my cancer. When you get that big C diagnosis you think "**** I'm gonna die any day!" -- but, you get over that. I'm sure there are others here with similar experiences.

I'm planning a move to Florida next fall, maybe to Spruce Creek, maybe to the panhandle. I need to find a place with a nice garage where I can build. No hangars for me. I may start my empennage soon, while I'm still working, just to get my feet wet. I need to find out if a completed empennage will fit in the bed of my pickup first, since I'll have to move it from Connecticut to Florida.

The current airplane-in-my-head is:

1. RV-7A quickbuild.
2. New, uncertified IO-360 180hp -- fuel injection is a must
3. Fixed prop -- keep it simple
4. Slider (this changes daily)
5. IFR -- will probably splurge a bit here

--and my weird thing is I want the plane to be PIC from either the left or right seat.

I want to fly on the right side, but in case I ever have to sell it I want the next guy to be able to fly on the left. I learned to fly in helicopters with a stick in my right hand, and I've yearned to get back to that. 700 hours in airplanes later, it still feels strange to me to be flying with my left hand.

My wife only flies with me when she is desperate, but I still prefer side-by-side seating. Like most everyone else, I use that seat as my IFR "desk."

I can't tell you all how much I admire your skill and perserverence in building these kits. Hope to be one of you soon.

Paul

Hello and welcome.

Nothing weird about wanting to fly from the right seat. The Air force academy did some initial training from the right seat so there would be a smooth transition to single and tandem seat jets. Plus with glass nowadays, you just put a screen on the left and right and you can get the same information from either seat.

started telling myself that I didn't want to waste a year or two

.... or 3 or 10 ...

have you considered purchasing a completed RV?

Welcome to VAF!!

Paul, welcome to VAF:D

One of my neighbors has a RV 6 that they fly from the right seat.

No biggie.

I look for used RVs all the time. But there's always something wrong with the ones I see. Like an IO-360 in an RV-9, or--usually--the panel is a mess. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place. Where should I look for used RVs?

I think I can build in less than two years, since:

1. I'm unemployed.
2. I'm building in an attached garage.
3. Quickbuild all the way.
4. My wife and I are separated (except for the summer).

Maybe I'm nuts, after all I don't really know squat about this yet.

--and my weird thing is I want the plane to be PIC from either the left or right seat.

I want to fly on the right side, but in case I ever have to sell it I want the next guy to be able to fly on the left. I learned to fly in helicopters with a stick in my right hand, and I've yearned to get back to that. 700 hours in airplanes later, it still feels strange to me to be flying with my left hand.
Welcome, Paul. Unless you're also going for the feeling/viewpoint of being in the right seat, know that several have setup the left seat with a throttle quadrant on the left, so that they can still fly with their right hand on the stick. Try finding THAT in a Mooney! :D

Good luck on your build Paul. If you are like me, you will enjoy it. I would say the best way you can speed your build up is to find a few people in your area that have done it already. Most are very willing to help and answer questions. Go see a build in progress and that will answer so many of your questions - it is worth whatever time it takes you to make the visit.

Im getting started on the electrical and panel now. You can blow a bunch of time there! Just deciding on what you want, but it sounds like you have a good idea on that. I haven't done it yet, but having a company put your panel together with the wiring sounds like the way to go, especially if you are not an electrician.

Have fun and find a few good web sites with photos and that will help too. Questions placed here are always welcome - even if you think they are dumb. There are a bunch of experienced builders that have seen it all!

Also, if you figure out how to post pictures here, the rest of the build is easy! (that may not be a problem for you since you are a computer guy, but it is to most!)

Rockwood, I am a former Army avionics technician, and I took a boatload of electrical engineering courses in college.

But I am still planning to outsource my panel.

Welcome, Paul!

I wanted to tell you a bit about my experience. Building a kit airplane was, for me, a means-to-an-end. That's how it started out anyway. This is the airplane I wanted, and building it myself made sense, especially from an economic standpoint. Building it yourself is really the only way you end up with exactly what you want, at a price you can afford. But as I got into it, I discovered how much I enjoyed building. It has truly been one of the most incredible, rewarding experiences of my entire life. I would encourage you to just jump in, get the empennage kit and some tools, and go for it. You'll know by the time you get the empennage done, just how much this is for you, or not. And at minimal expense. You can still buy a finished RV at that point if you find a good one, sell your kit, and walk away with a great experience. With some time on your hands, you can finish it in just a few weeks, if not sooner.

One more suggestion you might consider. Have you seen the new RV-14? I've seen it, and sat in it. It's very spacious, very nice, and Vans has incorporated some improvements into it that will make the building process go even faster and easier. I recently finished my canopy, and after a couple hundred hours of frustrating work, came out with a pretty good result. But the canopy is one of the most time-consuming, frustrating parts of any RV project. Any airplane for that matter. But the new RV-14 has a canopy frame that is pre-punched, rivets together, and is therefore much more accurate and consistent. When I saw it, I was glad I had mine finished, or I might have considered switching. It also comes with wiring harnesses and other items done for you. All told, it should cut hundreds hours off the building process, compared to a 7. Anyway, I thought I'd mention it. Something to consider. Whatever you decide, you'll find lots of friends and lots of help here! Good luck with your decisions. :)

I sat in the 14 and I agree, it is a very nice plane. It is much easier to get in and out of and it does have more room that the 9. I am all in favor of making the build easier and Vans has done that. Match drilling and deburring take up way more time than necessary and do nothing as far as "education" when building.

I am still more than happy with the 9 Im building. It fits my flight profile very well and will be less expensive than the 14.

You say you are a retired Army avionics technician. My son is an AH-64D pilot. Maybe some of the stuff you worked on, he uses. Thanks!!

Welcome Paul! From reading your post, I think the QB is a good idea. Best of luck, enjoy the journey.

Paul welcome to the world of RV's.

No need to worry about which side you sit on. I have flown my -9 from the right seat a number of times. If you build yours, dump the Cessna style throttle quadrant and put in a real throttle. That will make flying from one side or the other much easier. Besides, throttle quadrants are just plain cool!

Congrats on your retirement and future build

BTW, unless you are into doing acro, you might want to look at building a -9. They are a great plane and as I said, you only give the acro thing.

Not sure why you want to fly from the right. I thought it would be weird flying from the left with a stick. It is not. I have half of my 5000 hrs in the right side doing instruction. I also work for a helicopter manufacturer so the right side was the way to go, I thought. NOT ! Now both myself and one of my partners think it is weird flying from the right. Congrats on making the plunge you will not be disappointed, but think about the resale too.

Back