What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hello Everyone

Ab&DaniRV-3

Hello everyone.. I am building a -3 now for some time ( well have had it for some time). About 9 months ago I decided to build a jig for the fuselage and get started. I frequent the build sites and have used several good ideas that I have seen. Thanks to everyone for their posts and pics. I am building from plans set #321... Yes one of the early (1976) kits. I completed the wings, one 9 years ago and the other one 3 years ago, and things sat in the rafters otherwise (you Know life and all)... Now I have a fuselage sitting in the garage with a half finished cockpit and almost complete emp. which brings me to my question. I want to use camloc fasteners on my cowl and saw Randys' site, using the .063 aluminium strip under the flange on the firewall for the cowling attach. Will a 032 thick strip work at this location? The 063 would be harder to form. I am ready to install the forward top skin and want to get everything in this area done or fabricated before I finish the cockpit. Thanks for any help. :eek: What a great site this is. Hope to be joining every one in the air by the end of this summer.

I want to use camloc fasteners on my cowl and saw Randys' site, using the .063 aluminium strip under the flange on the firewall for the cowling attach. Will a 032 thick strip work at this location? The 063 would be harder to form.

Paul and I just read this note and we don't think .032" will work. We are travelling and can't check our logs but we think that we used the thickness recommended by the camloc folks. It was at least .063".

Enjoy the RV-3 journey! I hadn't been able to fly our -3 for about a month recently (although flying a lot) and when I got back in it last week, I again recalled who kick-a** more fun it is than any other plane that I've flown. I LOVE the -3! :D

Paul and I just read this note and we don't think .032" will work. We are travelling and can't check our logs but we think that we used the thickness recommended by the camloc folks. It was at least .063".

Thanks for the reply Louise and Paul. I figured that is what I had to do but just hoped that the thinner material would work. I have lots of .032 left and no .063... I will get some in my next order. I would like to say..WOW.. to your RV-3, what a fine ship it is. Both of you must be very proud and happy. My -3 is 90% done with 90% of the work left to do. I still get a grin every evening I step into the garage to work on it. Never get tired of building .... yet! My wife calls it My Alumawomb, because I spend more time with it than I do her. I think I will dedicate a spot on the tail and paint it on. She is already talking about me building another RV. :) I hope I get to fly between projects.

Back