What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hello everyone, potential new builder with a few ??'s

stockmanmark

I'm New Here
Hello everyone,
My name is Mark and I have a few questions if you don't mind.

I've been "looking" at RV kits for.....10 years now. A visit tot he EAA museum in Osh Kosh in 1997 and I was hooked.

Van's has always been the plane I've dreamed of building.

I have a Bonanza 35 that I love to fly but quite honestly I'm getting tired of the FAA restrictions on maintenance, non certified (and awesome) technology, and basically not having FREEDOM to do as I please with my plane. $800 alternators and $200 belt changes have me pissed about GA.

Anyway, I think I'm going to finally take the plunge. I MUST have a 4 place aircraft so when the 10 came on the scene...you could imagine my interest being stoked.

Realistically, as an average time builder what time frame are you looking at from start to finish? No quickbuild, pure kit.

Also, has the 0-470 f/f taken shape yet? I already have an extra 0-470 so it would be my engine of choice. I''m wondering if it's supported or will I have to fabricate it myself?

Can anyone with Bo experience compare the flight characteristics of the Rv10 with the Bo 35?

Also, I have an io360 as well that I could use as a powerplant, any feedback on the 360 for the 10 or is the 540 a must?

Thanks so much and I'm sure I'll have a million more questions. I just find the RV10 stunning. Never seen one in real life but in pictures....simply beautiful.

Cheers,
Mark Hudson

Welcome to VAF!!

Mark, welcome aboard.:D

The ten is a wonderful plane, mine is almost ready to go---only waiting for the FAA to inspect/sign off.

I have never flown a Bonanza, so cant give any empirical data, but I do seem to remember folks talking on here, about out running them.

Vans only supports the Lyc 540, so if you deviate from that, you will be on your own.

I have not heard of anyone running a 470-----Chevy, yes, Mazda--yes, Subaru---yes, but far as I know only one Conti powered 10, and that is the factory unit. And AFAIK it is an orphan--- they dont support it.

Good luck, enjoy the ride.;)

RV-10

Hi Mark. I have not flown a Bonanza 35 but have flown a T-34 and C-206 and the RV-10 is a totally different plane. It is just a solid flying plane with great response, you really need to just fly one for an hour or so. If your ever in Salt Lake I would be more than willing to take you for a ride.
Where do you live? I'm sure there is one near by.

As for build time, it took me 3 years to build a slow build kit. I felt like I worked very diligently on it but most of my work was nights and weekends since I work. There are non-working/retired guys out there that crank them out way quicker than that. I bet you could easily build one in 1.5 years if you could work during the days.

This is my approximate schedule when I built mine:

Oct 2003 - Feb 2004 - Empenage
Feb 2004 - August 2004 Wing
August 2004 - Jan 2005 Fuselage
Jan 2005 - June 2005 Finishing Kit
July 2004 - Jan 2006 Engine and Finishing Finishing Kit
Feb 2005 - Sept. 2006 Tons of prep, wiring, panel, more paint prep
Painted in August 2006 but then brought back to my house for more wiring and final assembly
Moved to the hanger on Labor Day of 2006 and first flight was October 14th, 2006

As for the engine, I would strongly recommend the IO-540. I am not sure what the weight difference is but you really want the weight of the IO-540 up there. The RV-10 can get light in the back with a full load in the plane and baggage area and 1/2 or less fuel. Plus, you can never have enough horsepower, right! Anytime I deviated from the plans I always regretted it. It took me 10X longer and was more expensive than if I just followed the plans.

Feel free to call anytime, good luck with it.

You'll also enjoy..

...blowing other Bo's away with the extra 15 MPH or more extra speed:)

It's been done many times!

Best,

RV 10

Mark,

I am 98% complete with 98% left on my RV10 and I have flown the BO 35. You will not miss the BO at all in fact cost of ownership goes way down with the 10. As for the engine I would recomend you sell the 470 and the 360 and buy a new 540 from vans. I noticed you live in Mcalester. I live in Tampa although born and raised in Tulsa. probably the finest RV10 ever built is owned by Greg Hale at Riverside/Jones. I have added a link to his website. This aircraft will not be the best cost example because Greg has made it very special but you may be able to get a ride if you contact him.

As for building I am about to complete my third RV and I have assisted in building many others. I will always recomend the QB for those who want to get in the air fast, the price for the QB labor is very cheap with high quality. Your also within about 200 miles (T67-N. Fort Worth) of Jay Pratt at RV Central if you wanted to go the builder assist option, Jay is the best and very affordable.

My last recomendation is if you want to go fast not only go the QB option but order the entire kit at once, it will save lots of time.

Good Luck,

Pat Stewart

Gregs wwebsite below

http://www.nwacaptain.com/

Pat, that link to Greg's website just cost me a cold cup of coffee.

I spent an hour or so going over it-------pretty amazing.

His weight and balance program is exactly what I was looking for--------wish I would have know about it a month ago.

Any idea what the final weight of Greg's plane came out ??? I could not find that on the linked site.

I have recently flown a V tail Bonanza and have an RV-10. The rv is a lighter plane and takeoff roll is much shorter, it feels more nimble in the air(light on the controls) but not to light. It take the turbulence better than I expected. It is cooler on the ground because you can pop the door open a little after landing. The BO feels like you are trapped inside a submarine with one way out= hot on the ground.

The only plus about the BO is it steers easy on the ground, the nose wheel is connected to the rudder. Also it has retracts which looks cool in the air. But you can't see that when you flying.

The RV is a much more efficient plane especially when you factor in maintenance costs, ect.

thanks guys

I appreciate the input and I will do exactly what is suggested. I'll sell my 470 and my 360 and buy a 540.

I've been looking at the quick build cost/benefit issue and it is indeed cheap labor. I can't see fudging on the 10K to save a year or two of my life! lol

Now, perhaps someone can help me with my next delimma.....breaking this to the wifey! lol

Somehow I have to convince her this will be good "family" time while we all build the plane together. I have the space, 2000 sq ft shop with 22ft ceilings. Got the tools, best friend is an IA/AP, no more excuses. Time to order the tail kit. :)

Mark

Mark, time for a bit of fun here, one of my good mates down here has a V35B, and its a lovely plane to fly, and in quiet among other Bo mates he admitted it was quicker and better performing. They handle very much alike although the -10 is more nimble.

You will not be sorry......repeat after me... "YOU WILL NOT BE SORRY"

here is a post on pprune http://www.pprune.org/dg-p-general-...969-home-photos-dunnunda-308.html#post5375648

And the finished item http://www.pprune.org/dg-p-general-...969-home-photos-dunnunda-308.html#post5377525

buy a QB kit, the extra few $$ are nothing compared to the hours spent rivetting. You can be sure the folk in the Phillipines work a way heap cheaper than you do!

DB :cool:

Any idea what the final weight of Greg's plane came out ???

I can't recall the weight. It was discussed quite a bit at OSH. I believe Greg set a record for the highest empty weight. However, it's a nice RV-10 built to the way Greg wanted it. You can't ask for anything more.

I took a retired Naval carrier pilot...

....and his wife to the coast yesterday and he was quite blown away with the -10. He had never been behind a 'glass' panel either, nor flown with GPS. He's an old VOR/ILS kinda guy and when he saw how easy the GPS approach to Jekyll Island was, he really perked up.

I let him fly most of the way home and when I asked him if he'd like a checkout in the -10, his jaw dropped..."Heck yeah, Pierre..wow!"

They both have driven there many times but never flown and realized the 45 minute flight compared to a 3 1/2 hour drive:)

Best,

I'll bite... I have 2700+ hours and nearly 7 years in my slow build -10. Nights and weekends only --- I have both a life and a family. Not done yet either as I'm working on the doors and just starting the panel.

It would probably go quicker if one were to do nothing but build and stick solely to the plans. However, there are some things you might decide to add as they are well worth the extra effort at resale time... and some things require a bit of time and question asking to learn. Know your limitations and then farm out the rest.

Good luck!
Jay

I owned an S-35 for a number of years. Neither I or my wife would trade the 10 for a Bonanza. The 10 is not only great for all of the reasons you mentioned, it is also a much "friendlier" airplane for the passengers, with lots of back seat room and great views from all seats.
A while back a Baron and I happened to be on approaches to parallel runways when the tower asked the Baron what his airspeed was. Now, I know you can guess what was coming next. :) Sure enough, the tower asked me for my airspeed, and without looking I just knew my airspeed was 1 knot faster, so I keyed the mic, added one knot along with my fuel flow. :)
Got to have fun once in a while.

You won't regret the 10.

Vic

Back