What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Height issues with an RV?

dirtybirdy80

I'm New Here
I recently acquired my Private Pilot license, and am looking into building my first airplane, and the Vans RV definitely stuck out to me, compared to all the other light sport and experimental aircraft out there.

My question is this...

I'm 6'4" tall and have pretty wide shoulders. The two models I've been looking at are the RV-7 and RV-8. Is one of them better than the other for tall people?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

WELCOME DirtyBird

Welcome to VAF! You have come to the right place! I am also 6?4? and I would say my shoulders are on the medium-wide side. Depending on how you are specifically apportioned, it will make a lot of difference. I buy my jeans with a 36? inseam, so depending on your leg length versus torso length, it will make a difference. I have been up in an RV-7A one time ? so I am by no means and expert? I loved the airplane, but for ME, it was too tight in the shoulders. I sat with my left arm in the baggage compartment behind the pilots back, which meant I was sitting at a slight angle. The other consideration in the side-by-sides is that the rudder pedals were an issue too. I had to semi-contort my feet so as not to get on his pedals ? and the pilot was close to my size too so the pedals were all the way forward.

I am building an RV-8 and have chosen the ?Tall Pilot? option which basically moves your head back a few inches (at the expense of the GIB) but it was very comfortable for me and I can set the pedals exactly where I want them ? and there is plenty of room for my shoulders. My co-pilot will be in the back and will not be bumping my shoulders or my rudder pedals. But of course, the drawback is, you have to have a co-pilot that doesn?t mind not sitting beside you. That?s not a problem for me. I would suggest that you find a sample of both versions and sit in them for a test fit and decide what feels best for you! :D

Take a look at the RV-14. Might work better for you. Bottom line: go sit and fly in them.

I recently acquired my Private Pilot license, and am looking into building my first airplane, and the Vans RV definitely stuck out to me, compared to all the other light sport and experimental aircraft out there.

My question is this...

I'm 6'4" tall and have pretty wide shoulders. The two models I've been looking at are the RV-7 and RV-8. Is one of them better than the other for tall people?

Between the 7 & 8, it's 8 for the win in the extra room department. You should easily fit into the 8. But you will know for sure if you can find someone local to you and go try it on. As has been pointed out there are a number of things you can do to customize the fit for you as you build. From interior cushion height, to rudder pedal position, and finally the "tall man" option of moving the seat back rearwards a bit. Lots of options in the 8.

Listen to Jim. The bigfoot problem is sorely under-appreciated.

Strictly in terms of comfort, I would not trade an 8 for a RV-14 either.

A Showplanes canopy kit for the 8 replaces the cockpit sills with narrower versions. There's is no rollbar/windshield frame, so you also get some leeway in how high you cut the canopy. Oregon Aero (and probably others too) will supply high-density front seatback foam cut very thin, which also makes a surprising difference. Choosing ground-adjustable pedals means no tube in the center of the floor, so long legs can be re-positioned when flying long legs.

Backseat Headroom.

Looking at Dan's 8 it sure appears his GIB ha more headroom then I do!

I have a Todd's canopy and believe it slopes down more in the back therefore reducing headroom.

I didnt really notice this until after thenbuild and when it was side by side of my friend Vans canopy. So I can only guess that I may have been able to adjust headroom with the Todd maybe an inch. .?.?.

I love the 8 with the Todd's canopy (Dan's canopy too!), but make sure you checkout the headroom in the back too for fit. I only have an issue when a guy 6' or above sit back there and that is due to their headset slightly touching the canopy.

Big is in.

I think all of us that have big upper body's have been through this dilemma. I was 6'1"- 225lbs. with 46" shoulder when looking at the RV's to pick one out. That has changed I am glad to say. The best tip I can give you is go to the fly-ins and air-shows and try them on for size. What you like and feel good in is what you should get. I liked both the 8 and the 7, but felt to tight in a 4 or 6. Van dose make the tall pilot option for the 8 and some like that. I found that it was fine with the standard seating and in flight adjustable peddles. You would not go buy a pair of shoes with out trying them on would you? Hope this helps. Yours. R.E.A. III #80888

a couple other 'fits'

definitely try on every model you can....

and don't forget; a hat and headset will use up a good inch of headroom...
the fix is a halo or clarity in-ear comm setup.
test-flying it? you may want to use a helmet, and not beat the heck out of your brand new canopy.
cold weather? you're gonna be wearing some kind of thicker gear, so even less elbow room.
some guys deal with tight footwell space by wearing nomex racing shoes, with thin soles etc.
if you're really keen on a side-by side, the AntiSplat mod to move the seatback 4" to the rear will create a bit of headroom and seating options.

if you sit in the -14, be prepared to write a cheque! :D ( yep, I liked it that much!)

My question is this...

I'm also a new pilot having received my PPL in 2014. I knew I wanted an RV and thought the RV-7 was going to be the best fit until my wife and I sat in one at Air Venture. I'm not as tall as you but I have wide shoulders. After only a few minutes inside the RV-7 with my wife next to me I began to have second thoughts. We were seriously cramped as described by others.

Unfortunately, Vans didn't have an RV-8 available for us to look at and sit in and the RV-14 wasn't out yet.

I began to earnestly read the comments of folks like Dan Horton, Andy, David and other's with RV-8's and began to change my mind. It wasn't until I flew back seat in an RV-8 and sat in the front that I knew for sure it was the RV for me (us).

Now I own one and enjoy it very much. My only regret is that I didn't build it. Maybe some day. For now I'm logging time to gain competence and build confidence before taking my wife up with me. I figure 40 hours outta do it.

What ever RV you decide on, I doubt you would be unhappy. They are truly amazing aircraft.

For my tall-guy money, the -8 is more comfortable than the -7. Flying in a -7 reminded me of doing my private in a Diamond DA-20 - I'd get out of the pane with creases in my knees from them being jammed into the bottom of the panel. I also found the pedals to be at an odd angle for me.

The -8, on the other hand, I found to have ample legroom. Once I got down and situated, I was extremely comfortable. I did have to duck my head a bit to slide the canopy closed; fortunately, I fly with a QT Halo, so no bulky headset band on top of my cranium.

The best advice, as others have mentioned, is to find some local RVers and ask to do a test-sit. You might even find that they'll let you continue this test-sit while they go for a short flight. Beware of these flights though, as they tend to lead to addiction and obsession.

I am 6'5" with a 36" inseam and building a Showplanes 8.
I went around and sat in several 8s before I decided to pull the trigger and move forward. The very first thing I noticed was no two 8s fit me the same. Each was slightly different whether it was the seat padding, seat position, tall pilot option etc etc etc.
I have the tall pilot option and I have moved the bottom of the seat back aft slightly from stock for a touch more leg room. When the time comes I may scallop the bottom of the instrument panel slightly for better knee room. That will be a decision I make once I get that far. Bottom line, there are a bunch of little tweeks you can do during construction to improve your room if need be.

Fortunately for you there is a gentleman with an 8 right at STS. I know, he was kind enough to let me sit in it when I was researching. I wish I could remember his name to pass along but others from STS can probably get you in touch with him.

My question is this...

I am 6'3 and wear a 46 jacket and fit in my -8 (Van's standard) easily. In fact after 4 years of flying I need to add some thickness to my seat cushion. Shoulder room is much better than the -7 I took my transition training in. In fact, you might take a transition ride or two before deciding on an RV, just to make sure it fits your experience level.

If you go with an 8, do get the in flight adjustable rudder pedals, IMO.

-John

Back