What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Heavy wing

My 7A has a heavy left wing. After looking at it the right aileron bracket on the outboard side is 1/8" high. The aileron is sticking up 1/8" more over the top of the wing than the left aileron. Will that make the wing light or do I have another problem?
Thanks,
Larry

Yes it will

I had to adjust my left aileron down 1/16" on the outside and 1/32 on the inside and yes it did make a difference. I then fine tuned it by squeezing the trailing edge per van's instructions on his web site. I over squeezed my trailing edge and had to then use a board and hammer on the trailing edge to pop it back out, now it is perfect. Properly adjusted ailerons will make a big difference in the control feel. Please read Van's instructions carefully before doing anything.

Larry, If the right aileron is high it would make it want to roll right. So if you lowered it it would make the left roll worse. How bad is the roll? If not too bad use the aileron squeeze. Also check your wingtips, I would suspect that might be the culprit. Don

Check the tips

I completely agree about checking the wingtips. The metal aspects of these airplanes are very straight it's hard to make them wrong. But the wingtips... they are like a wet noodle when rigging them to the wing. It would take very little asymmetry between left and right to drive a roll force. I know others have split the tip trailing edges to take out a twist that was driving a roll. "Food for thought".....

Same problem as I had

Before I would do anything, if the trailing edges of the ailerons are not squeezed as tightly as they should be, I would proceed slowly by squeezing the light wing aileron trailing edge. I had a heavy wing, can't remember which way, and my right aileron was high like yours, so instead of squeezing the ailerons, I slotted the right aileron brackets and lowered the aileron, this produced a heavy wing the other way, so I slowly brought the aileron back up. But when I was close to getting rid of my heavy wing I devoloped a little aileron snatch, because the trailing edges weren't squeezed right. 3 minutes with Mike Seagar and his hand seamers, no aileron snatch, no heavy wing.

Randy
8A flying

Dont forget to balance your weight first...

Side by sides have a heavy left wing when you fly solo with equal fuel. You sit on the left. Put an equal weight in the passenger side and equal fuel then fly. Then you will have a base line to work from.
Just a reminder in case you have not done this.

Thanks for the help, but

Thanks for the help, but after closer inspection, I may have a twisted HS.
I'm going to get a level and look at that. Wouldn't that cause a roll input?
Thanks,
Larry

Update

My plane has the batwing tips and they looked straight but you couldn't but a string on them like the straight tips. After putting a level on everything, I noticed that the left tip was 1/2 " higher than the right. I split the tip and epoxied it back. Will fly it in a couple of days. I'm not happy with the fit and may change to the new style so I can put landing lights in the tips.
Thanks again,
Larry

Another update

I split the wingtip and straightened it. Not a lot of differance. I lowered the right outboard aileron hinge 1/8". Wanted to roll left more. Raised it back up 1/16" and lowered both left aileron hinges 1/16" or a little more. It now flys level.
Before when I squessed the right aileron the ball moved more out of the center and if it flew level at cruise it would roll right when slow. After lowering the left and tapping the right aileron trailing edges back out with a wood block now it flys level in cruise and level when you slow up. The ball is a little out but I'm just going to add a trim tab. This sure is a great forum to ask for help.
Thanks a lot,
Larry

Back