What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Heavy wing--UN-fix?

odlee

Well Known Member
My plane has flown with a heavy wing for 3 years. I decided to fix this and worked my way through Van's checklist to the squeezing of the ailerons. Well the heavy wing is gone, but so is the light control feel in roll. Obviously caused by overzealous squeezing!:eek: Can the squeeze be reduced, or do I rebuild the ailerons? If anyone has been down this road, please offer your solution.

Thanks,
David

You can tap on a wooden block on the trailing edge and get some of the radius back. The radius wont be where it was, it will bow a little just afst of the radius bend, but you can keep playing it till you achieve the results you want. JUST A LITTLE at a time.

Heavy wing

David,
Un fixing a heavy wing repair, I have had some success with this as follows.
Try taking a piece of wood a foot or so long, a 1" piece of 2x4 will work. Place the wood against the trailing edge of the aileron, using a light hammer, tap on the wood thus causing the aileron to "swell a little. Be very carefull a little pressure will be all that is needed. I use a pair of calipers to measure the aileron thickness at a point about 1" fwrd. of the trailing edge prior to and after the "adjustment" It is amazing how very little change in the thickness will affect the performance.
Good luck
Dick

Back