What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Heavy since installing new autopilot?

Looking for a little help in that after installing a new AutoPilot (two axis) I have a very heavy left wing? Has anyone experienced this type of thing. My A&P actually installed it for me, I didn't have this before the installation?
Thanks for the help.

What kind of aileron trim system do you have? If it is the manual spring system, the A&P may have changed the setup, doesn't take much in an RV-6A to induce roll.

Heavy left wing

Wanted to answer a few questions that you posted
Michael, it is a Trio AP, and the servo is mounted in the wing.
Sam, It is the manual spring.

The Trio servo has a clutch which completely releases the gear train when it isn't engaged, not sure how the servo could impact roll trim when it isn't 'on'. I suspect something has changed with the aileron trim spring setup. The installer may have reconnected something differently or possibly stretched a spring.

Is the servo in the wing or cabin? Cabin installations are much more sensitive to mis-rigging than having the servo in the wing.

More info would be useful......roll is induced with or without the autopilot engaged? Can you trim out the roll with aileron trim? Is roll constant at all airspeeds, etc, etc. Did the A&P remove a flap??

Last edited by a moderator:
Heavy left wing

No the AP wasn't engaged, stretched spring I'm wondering if that may be a possibility. Different speeds didn't make much difference...We are disengaging the servo next to see if it goes back to normal.
Very windy here today, but still hope I can get in the air to find out.
Still open for comments and suggestions.

I agree with Brad and suspect the rigging was upset. Verify that it is correct first.

Heavy left wing

Finally got out to fly again with the airplane today, turns out everything is good. The Trio AP is working well!!!! The heavy left wing was partly to having more fuel along with the trim control seemed to have to be further right before the AP. That actually wasn't the case, the right seat was just moved closer to the trim controller, which made it seem that I had never touched the seat when trimming right, which I did after the AP was installed, I realized that may have been what seemed like I was trimming more than ever before. Needless to say my error, which turned out to be great in the end. Thanks everyone for the input into a possible solution.

Back