What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Heavy rudder inputs?

Lionclaw

Well Known Member
Does anyone else's 9 require a lot of pedal pressure to get the rudder to respond significantly?

Mine wags easily on the ground, clearance looks good between the rudder and VS, and I don't see any problems. But, on takeoff roll and in the air it seems like it takes quite a bit of pressure on the pedals.

Looking at the geometry of the rudder, control horn, and cables, the behavior would seem to make sense.

Any thoughts? Is this normal?

Andy,

I don't have a lot of experience with other RVs, but my rudder seems quite easy to deflect with the pedals. It gets a bit stiffer when doing full-deflection slips, but not to the point that I would consider it unusual.

I suggest finding another RV locally and flying it for comparison. Won't be exactly the same unless you find another 9, but at least a data point.

Cheers,
greg

Big

The 9 has a big rudder so you are trying to deflect a lot of air with it, see the comments on larger rudders in the rv6 wit rv8 rudder thread. Basically they are saying the bigger rudder requires more pressure which makes sense.

You hardly use it for normal flight........ but when slipping yes it takes some pressure to hold it in.

Back