What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Heavy 9A wing

rv12iS-builder

Well Known Member
Friend
A few months ago, somebody posted how they solved a 9A "heavy wing" problem by making a slight adjustment to the aileron bracket (I think they made a slot, or something like that.) Does anybody else remember that post and know how to find it? I tried the search engine, but was unable to locate it. Perhaps it was a post to the old 9A Yahoo Group?

Thank you

It is on Dan Checkoways website under "Flying & Maintenance 2005, May 8, 2005. Sorry I don't know how to transfer the link for you. The gap between the aileron and the skin was off slightly giving him a heavy wing and he slotted the hinge slightly to correct the gap.

I had this same problem on my 9A and slotted both my ailerons in order to correct it. Wound up making an 1/8 slot in the brackets bolt holes. When I look at my ailerons in level flight now the left one is down and the right one up (with reference to the wings trailing edge) That is how it flies unfortunately. That is one of those things that bugs me but I can't do anything about. :mad:

Bill;
The hinge points for the aileron on a 9 are basically the same design as a 7. I will almost bet the powder coated hinge points are the exact same part. Dan's method should work on a 9. Flaps on 7's use piano hinges.

Brockster said:
It is on Dan Checkoways website under "Flying & Maintenance 2005, May 8, 2005. Sorry I don't know how to transfer the link for you. The gap between the aileron and the skin was off slightly giving him a heavy wing and he slotted the hinge slightly to correct the gap.

Definitely check the heavy wing document on Van's service letters site before slotting things.

My right wing was very slightly heavy, but after checking a number of things I confirmed I was just off by 1/2 turn on the aileron pushrod threads.

Back