What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Heater cable

LettersFromFlyoverCountry

Well Known Member
I have the Avery heater box with the control arm inside the cabin. I bought the heater control cable from Van's . It's long. Very long. I'd like to see some images of how people are routing this cable since the OP drawing from van's does not do a very good job of explaining it. It also appears to secure the cable to the firewall but does not indicate how... and does not indicate a route back to the panel (or thereabouts); it only shows it as far as it going through the firewall angle via a #10 hole.

Post your pictures, please. and thanks.

Heater cable routing

Bob,
Here is how I did it. First picture is the position of the control on the panel. Second picture is of the subpanel, third is of the Adel clamp on the firewall stiffener (-3 clamp) and the fourth shows the cable penetrating the vertical angle. It seems to operate smoothly so far.
Hope this helps.
hpim1433o.jpg

hpim1434m.jpg

hpim1435.jpg

hpim1436b.jpg

Last edited:
My route is almost identical to Wards. I cut a fair amount of my cable off as it too was pretty long.

Where are you?

Jeff,
Where is your project based? Sometime when I am over your way I would like to stop by to see it, if that's OK.

Fabulous, Ward! That's almost exactly what I settled on last night, although I didn't commit to it because I sent an email to Van's tech support today asking about drilling a hole for the Adel clamp in that firewall stiffener.

Fabulous, Ward! That's almost exactly what I settled on last night, although I didn't commit to it because I sent an email to Van's tech support today asking about drilling a hole for the Adel clamp in that firewall stiffener.
If you don't want to drill another bolt hold through your stiffener, you could also just rivet a standoff to the stiffener and then adel clamp to that. The additional advantage of using a standoff is that it does a better job of keeping the cable from banging against or rubbing against the firewall. Just another idea.

Steve,
I like the stand-off idea better. I did that to support some brake lines, but hadn't thought of doing it when I ran the heater cable.

Steve,
I like the stand-off idea better. I did that to support some brake lines, but hadn't thought of doing it when I ran the heater cable.

Me, too (although I did get an email from Ken Scott that a bolt hole is not a structural problem). Do you have a picture of the standoff so I can set about planning to go that route?

Do you have a picture of the standoff so I can set about planning to go that route?
Actually I didn't remember I had done it this way, but I didn't rivet a standoff to the stiffener. I just used the bolt that already goes through that diagonal stiffener and grabs the battery box. No need to drill any holes through the stiffener at all...

Hope this helps.

Back