What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Heated Pitot for the RV-9A

LevonKing

I'm New Here
Plans show an unheated pitot. What are my options for a heated pitot? Where can I buy one at reasonable cost which can be installed in the location specified in the plans?

The Gretz heated pitot is nice, too. It's now being sold out of Australia: http://angusaviation.com/

I ended up going with the Dynon, since I'm using their EFIS. The advantage there is that you essentially get AOA for free.

-Rob

Heaters

The Grets and Dynon both do the same thing with a brain box to turn on heat only when the tube needs it to keep from freezing. the theory is the heat element will not run if not needed and not overheat therefor it will last longer. I am putting in Dynon screens and therefor went with the Dynon Pitot.

My .02

Thanks so much for the help, fellows. I won't drill the hole in the bottom skin for the pitot until I have determined the proper size for the pitot chosen. The plans for the unheated pitot call for a 7/16 inch hole. Thanks again!

The Gretz and Dynon (and I imagine most others) mount differently than the stock Van's pitot. Don't cut anything until you have the parts and instructions for whatever you buy in-hand.

I bought a dead heated pitot blade (off a piper) and rebuilt it. Total cost was under half of an experimental heated pitot tube. There are some pictures posted under the "tips" section - search on pitot blade mounting.

Good Luck,
dave

Pitot Location Suggestion

When you do get ready to install your pitot tube I recommend placing it in the bay "outboard" of the belcrank and not where Vans has it at the inboard bay. Any fittings that that you use to connect the electrical or pitot or AOA air tubing will be readily accesable at the inspection plate for the bellcrank.

I ended up having to redirect the tubing for the pitot and AOA lines out towards the inspection plate opening for easier access. Then the lines make make a loop and head back down the wing towards the fuselage. I'm going to have to study the moving parts in this area to make sure the loops don't interfere or scrub.

The Dynon probe does not produce a certifiable deicing level...
Wingding, welcome to the forum.

Funny but the plane it is going on isn't certifiable either.

Truth is, if the ice is bad enough to block Dynon's heated pitot tube, then an RV w/o some type of de-ice capability shouldn't be flying and probably won't be flying for long.

I bought a dead heated pitot blade (off a piper) and rebuilt it. Total cost was under half of an experimental heated pitot tube. There are some pictures posted under the "tips" section - search on pitot blade mounting.

Good Luck,
dave

I've got the blade heated pitot from Piper, also static... short run, clean in the air... nice setup for sure!

Back