What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Heated hangar during winter-ops; a setup for cracks?

ao.frog

Well Known Member
Hi folks.

My second-7 is ready for first flight in a couple of months and that puts us close to freezing temps here in Norway.
This means that phase 1 will be done during winter time.

I have a possibility for operating out of a heated hangar this winter and it's very tempting to be able to to all the checks, inspection, first few oilchanges etc in a nice heated hangar during phase 1, but I'm alittle worried about cracks.

Here's the setup: the plane will be nice and warm (room temp) when hauled out on the ramp, OAT's will be at freezing or well below: down to -10*C (14*F) and then what? Will I all of a sudden hear the dreaded sound.... and see the dreaded crack?

I have no possibility to let the plane slowly cold-soak either, the only way is to haul it out of the warm hangar.

Therefore I'm wondering if this is a good idea? Maybe I schould operate out of a cold hangar after all? Thus, no sudden temp-changes for the canopy?

I've read here on the forum that canopies tends to crack when exposed to sudden temp-changes, and this will be the case here.

So what do you say guys? warm or cold hangar for winter-ops during phase 1?

Rv-7 in canada

3 years ago i had an v-7 in a business hangar and they were heating at plus 20C. I was flying some time at -20 C. I was taking the airplane back inside and 5 to 10 min later t was pus 20C again. ( i don't want to see their energy bill).
Never seen a crack. I don't know if it's the rv-4 and 8 that are more prone to crak?

So far, the canopy on my -4 has been ok...

I have a heated hanger in Massachusetts and fly down to about 0F (-18C). (Below that I get too cold!) I preheat the hanger to 50F starting the night before, perform the preflight inside and open the door only when I am ready to pull it out and start it.

I had never thought about any tendency for the canopy to crack. Now, you have given me something new to worry about...

Regards,

Dean

We keep our hangar at 52*F during the winter. Good compromise between comfort and cost to heat the big radiant floor. I usually won't fly if the OAT is <10*F, but did some of my phase 1 at -5*F. I too worried about my Tip-up canopy cracking. So far so good.
meand155bkinKBZN.jpg

I found the trick is, do the preflight stuff in the hangar. Close the canopy to trap any heat. Pull it out, shut the hangar and immediately get in and reclose the canopy. Start the engine to get some heat moving to the cockpit.

Back