What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Heat Muffler

shiney

Well Known Member
The heat 8" muffler fits better on the left pipe than it does on the right (the right one is in the plans). This is because the ball joint on the right hand pipe is lower than the one on the left, leaving the muffler outlet below the firewall flange, if I fit it to the left it's in the right place. I think it will be OK doing it this way but I just wanted to check that I'm not going to have to undo this change further down the line!

Should be OK

...but are you sure? The gap on my RV6 is definitely tighter on the LHS with a YO-360-A1A and a Vetterman cross over exhaust. In fact I had to add an aluminium heat shield to the cowling under the LH ball joint.

Jim Sharkey
RV6 - Phase 1

Other considerations

The airflow scat tube is designed to run from the right rear baffle, through the heat muff and then to the firewall heater box.

If you put the heat muff on the left, where are you going to get the inlet air (assuming you put your oil cooler on the left rear baffle)? The heat box inlet faces right, so that will make running outlet scat tube challenging.

Another consideration is the fuel lines, at least for a carburated engine. Are you sure you have room for the heat muff on the left with the fuel lines installed?

I agree with previous posts - you should consider all the potential ramifications of any modification. Obviously not as obvious until you put other stuff in place but worth trying to figure out. Maybe also worth getting everything else in place first, since you can add the heat system at the end. That said, I actually put a muff on both sides, and ran the outlet directly into both sides of the firewall (i.e., I have a heat outlet on my side and my wife has one on her side of the aircraft) and eliminated the central baffled heat system.

greg

Back