What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Headset Repair

g zero

Well Known Member
I have a AKG Headset that needs a new cord ….it’s about 9 years old and the cord has disintegrated… Any one /companies out there offering this service ?

Attachments

• IMG_1574.jpg
    IMG_1574.jpg
    325.2 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_1573.jpg
    IMG_1573.jpg
    359.5 KB · Views: 69
Have you reached out to AKG about support and getting a replacement cord?

Their website still has support link.

I still have one AV100 headset. I like it but like the Bose better so have two Bose in the airplane and the AV100 on a shelf in the hangar that I never use.

AKG repair

Contact Patti Sharpston at the link below. They have parts for sale and will also repair. I think most of the time they will exchange yours for a new one (but discontinued) for a flat fee of $450.

[email protected]

Still a great headset and much more comfortable than a Bose A20.

I'll second KC Headsets. I have used them many times. They/he is very honest and restored function on my headsets every time.

Love my AKG's. Put them aside because the padding was bad, great info, maybe have a chance to get the updated

I can't tell from the pic, but it almost looks like you could just take it apart, cut the cord slightly shorter, reconnect the internals and put it back together. That solution might not be as good as replacing a hardened cord if that is actually what happened but it may be cheaper and be good enough.

One other comment. Wiring often breaks due to how it is stored. It the wire repeatedly is wrapped with a tight bend is often will break right there. This is common on hand held hair dryers or irons (do people still use those?).

Headset

So far ….. no one including KC touches AGK products.
I might ask a friend that does electronics the feasibility of making an adapter to use the Replacement Bose Cord Assembly.
I’ve replaced the ear leather last year with some off Amazon … but the cord insulation is shot .
I purchased a new Bose from Marv Goldman … no sales tax , shipped to Florida.

AKG repair

Have you e-mailed Harmon yet? Contact Patti Sharpston [email protected]? You can also call them at 1-844-776-4899

If the headset still works another option is the black self sealing fusing silicone tape over the exposed cord. It’s similar to heat shrink but can be used over existing wiring without cutting it.

Last edited:
Have you e-mailed Harmon yet? Contact Patti Sharpston [email protected]? You can also call them at 1-844-776-4899

If the headset still works another option is the black self sealing fusing silicone tape over the exposed cord. It’s similar to heat shrink but can be used over existing wiring without cutting it.

I’ll give them a try . Thanks.

The cord has a few bandages on it but at this stage it’s fall apart in chunks

Back