What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Headset Lifetime

YellerDaisy

Well Known Member
Question: How many years do you expect a reasonable quality headset to last?

I'm asking as I purchased a fairly good one about five years ago and it now needs work. The OEM is willing to overhaul it for a reasonable fee (less than $50). This is all good but I'm wondering if my expectations are correct. I am the only person that uses MY headset and I generally fly 120-150 hours per year.

Thx!

So you've used it 600-750 hours and they're only going to charge you $50 even though you bought it 5 years ago? Who are they? I need to buy a headset from them! :D

I have one pair of David Clarks that I have owned for about 35 years and another owned for about 25 years. No problems with either set yet.

Oh, I just remembered. I also owned a pair of noise canceling David Clarks, for about a week. After that week they still worked as well as when I received them, which wasn't well at all. They went back for a refund.

Last edited:
One set of David Clark's...

for 20+ years and 13,000 hours. OK, I replaced the ear cushions once, but they were free.

John Clark ATP, CFI
FAAST Team Representative
EAA Flight Advisor
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

Close to 30 years on my DC 10-30s.

One mic failure, free replacement.

Bout 10 years ago, I installed Headsets Inc ANR modules and gel seals.

Still working just fine.

I too am a member of the David Clark fan club. Bought my 13.4's as a gift to myself when I solo'd. That was 19yrs ago.

Only 25 years on my DC 10-30's. One mic failure. Free replacement. Also have a pair of 10-40's I was given. Had a bad mike. Came back with a new mike, new cord, and gel cups. No charge.

I have 6000 hours on a set of Bose X's I bought in 2002. They went in for a major overhaul once, they replaced pretty much all but the headband. Quality lasts.

I had a financial issue with David Clarks that came out ugly so I won't do business with them anymore - but I've had good luck with their headsets. I've also got 2 Bose X's with 1000 hrs and 800 hrs, all they need is a set of earseals.

Sigtronics S-40 for 27 plus years and 5000 hours

Ear seal covers deteriorating a bit, but otherwise still working fine. After about 1 year some of the wire leads broke while flying out of KFNL. The local FBO line guy grabbed a soldering iron, and in similar words from the movie Holes he said "I can fix that." They have worked just fine ever since.

David Clark is too expensive for me - would rather spend some of that money on the plane. I have also tried some of the noise cancelling head sets, and never seemed to be able to tell much difference from the others. Then there were the Pilot brand headsets with the gel seals that just about pushed my brain out through the top of my head after only one hour of flying.

And before anyone from the DC and noise cancelling arena gets a chance - my hearing is just fine thanks. ;)

Lightspeed and Bose

I have a pair of Lightspeed noise cancelling ones about 10 years old, both have broken ear cup mounts, cant get any back up from Lightspeed so they are well off my to do business with list.

So, I bought a pair of Bose x's, second hand off ebay, I damaged one of those sent it off it was repaired and upgraded free of charge. They are great headsets...... I have lost the upper part of my hearing but these are great. I would do business with them again and recommend them!

Like the Bose

Wife and I bought each a set of "Bose X's in 1998, and still use them on a regular basis. Have well over 1000 hours of use. Each year we take them to the Bose booth at Sun 'n Fun for inspection and repair, which they perform on site and at no cost. If there is anything major they give you statement of the repair needed and procudure to send back to the factory. Over time many parts have been repaired and updated, but the cost has been minimal. The warranty is about 10 years and they stick by it. In addition to all of this they have generally worked extemely well. We find them reliable and tough. They are expensive but you get what you pay for. Most cheaper sets will not last nearly as long. I highly recommend Bose.
Also have had good service over the years with David Clark's. Excluding the noise cancelling models these things just last and last. Service is good, reasonable and fast. I do not think you can wear them out, you just wind up throwing them away of you want to get rid of them. They are not as comfortable as the Bose, but are a very good product. :D:D

My Dave Clark H10-40's have worked fine for 29 yrs with free replacements of the mic, cord, and metal head band. My Bose X's lasted about 2 yrs before giving up the ghost. Hopefully the new Bose 20's will last longer.

Thanks to all. I'm not surprised at the responses, my first few headsets lasted many years. Perhaps I am just doing something different/wrong these days.

The headset that I am referencing is a Quiet Technologies Halo.

A headset is a very personal thing and I have never worn anything so comfortable as this nor anything that does a better job on the noise (including NC types). Yes, I've tried Bose, Lightspeed, DC, etc... and simply hate having earmuffs clamped onto my head.

This time around, I'll just do a better job supporting the wires and see if I get better service life.

Thanks again,

I have a Telex Proair 2000e that is at least 25 years old and a first gen Telex Proair ANR that is about 20 years old. Both continue to function. I used the 2000e while flight instructing and the ANR when I went to the commuters. I have replaced the gel ear seals on both and I did send the ANR set back once when the ANR function stopped working. They were back on my doorstep in under 5 days from the day I shipped them off with no charge. I will be very unhappy the day my Telex ANR finally gives up. They were built when ANR was just coming out so everybody was still concentrating on passive reduction. The ANR was just a bonus. These days the passive reduction is way less so when the ANR gives up you may as well not be wearing a headset.

I've had my David Clark 13.4 for 10 years & they're still like new. I just had to replace my gel seals about a year ago.

Headset

One thing I have never seen anyone here talk about/try is similar to what we have been doing in the military for the last few years.

There is a company in AL that makes an ear plug similar to clarity aloft/halo type. You stick it in your ear, then the business end plugs into an electrical connection that has been soldered to your headset. You essentially wear a headset OVER the earplugs. In my experience over 7 years with them, they are quieter than any ANR I have used. They are about $100 in addition to the cost of whatever headset you use, and they are made in USA.

I don't know if I am allowed to say the company?

As long as you're not affiliated and just providing a positive review from personal experience, I believe naming the company that built the product is allowed by DRs terms. After all, there is a section of the site dedicated to "reviews". I'd like to check these headsets out.

Back