What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Headset jack layout

Greenley

Well Known Member
Is there a conventional layout for headset jacks when one is above the other. Which is on top, the larger phone jack or the smaller mic jack?

I have never noticed any specific convention. The holes are the same size, so it can easily be changed. Just make sure they are far enough apart that they can't touch.

I am putting the jacks 1 1/2" apart so that my gloved hand can easily put in the plugs. Sometimes it is cold here in Michigan at the start of a flight. I am putting plastic shoulder washers on both the mic and phone jacks combined with a flat fiber washer to guarantee electrical isolation, and by doing it on both the holes are the same size so I could swap the jack positions if a certain order was preferred.

To be honest, I can't remember how I installed mine. I put both LEMO and standard GA plugs at each location. I might use the GA plugs once or twice a year. It doesn't take much effort to figure them out. I wouldn't worry about the placement.

You think you'll be flying it to OSH this year?

I wish, but no, it will be 2018. Life keeps getting in the way of aviation. I have this boss that makes me work to many hours a day, oh wait, I am the boss.

I put the small one on top just because it was easiest to remember that way...think mountain.

Back