What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Headset cable repair

rgarrett7

My headset cable has developed a short. It looks like Aircraft Spruce sells replacements. Has anyone replaced their cables? The headset is an old Lightspeed QFR Crosscountry. I am still very happy with their noise cancellation and would like to fix them. Lightspeed no longer makes this model.

Please report back if you do change the cable..... I have two QFR's I like em so much that MY Zulu's are still in the box!!!!

factory

I know you said they don't make that model, but did they turn you down on repairing it? They have a pretty good reputation for supporting headset repairs.

Headset repair

I have not tried opening up the Lightspeed headsets. I will contact Lightspeed to see whether they can be repaired.

In the meantime, I tried a Lightspeed Zulu Pfx. To my surprise, the noise reduction was considerably poorer than the QFR's. The Pfx's don't have much clamping at all. No doubt that would make them more comfortable, but as a consequence, there was a lot of wind noise that leaked around the ear pads.

When the noise cancellation worked well in the PFX's, they were great. However, there was considerably popping and changes in the cancellation as I moved my head around in the cockpit. The build construction was fabulous, and I really wanted to like these headsets, but they needed to be flawless for the price. Unfortunately, they were not even close, and I returned them after 3 test flights.

Back