What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Heads up on NOTAMs

n5lp

fugio ergo sum
It is getting hot where I live, 99 degrees yesterday and summer isn't here yet.

Two places I thought would be nice places to RV to are Durango and Telluride. Both are interesting towns with good airports and they are convenient and cool.

A few days ago I was driving in the area and decided to take at look at the Telluride Airport, KTEX (don't know why none of you Texas folks got that identifier). It is in an area where it doesn't look possible to fit in an airport catering to business jets, so I thought it would be interesting. It was. There was lots of bustle and lots of cars in the lot but one very surprising thing. Here is the photo.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/VhkWGORk3fMuwhxpp7vivA?feat=directlink

I have never found decoding NOTAMs to be particularly difficult, in fact I have issued quite a few myself, so recent changes in the system have snuck up on me. I can look at all the KTEX NOTAMs and not realize what was going on.

!TEX 04/020 TEX Runway 27 PAPI Out of service until Nov 02 2009 23:59 UTC

!TEX 04/019 TEX SVC AWOS Out of service until Nov 02 2009 14:00 UTC

!TEX 04/021 TEX NAV Runway 9 ILS LLZ/DME Out of service until Nov 02 2009 23:59 UTC

!TEX 09/003 TEX Runway 9/27 DIST RMN SIGN Out of service

!TEX 04/022 TEX AD Closed Except HEL Prior Permission Required 970-728-8603/CTAF 123.0 until Nov 02 2009 14:00 UTC

It looks like several things are out of service, but nothing that would affect me in the RV. I don't care if some navaids and lights are not working or if the distance remaining sign is not there. That one about AD though. What is an AD. Well it is airworthiness directive but what else could it be?

I knew that French had come to weather reporting in a big way but was unaware that we are now using French for NOTAMs. With weather, at least it is a small number of things, but there are huge possibilities in NOTAMs. When I first figured out that something strange was going on I went to a whole bunch of sites to find out what AD is, and couldn't, although I did guess. Finally I did find a site that had the current abbreviations and there it was.

The thing is, with weather, if there is doubt, you can get the decoded version. With NOTAMs the only possibility I see is to get a booklet with the entire list of abbreviations, and carry it around, or is there a better solution someone has found?

Even if there is some sort of solution, this seems like a huge step backward in safety, to me. I don't see why we couldn't make such a basic thing understandable and in English, like it used to be.

I'm with you 100% Larry!

Take a look at a couple of the NOTAMS for Galveston (KGLS):

A0028/09 QMXXX Taxiway ALL Taxiway Lights U/S. Effective Immediately Until Further Notice. Created: 13 MAR 13:44 2009

A0149/08 VUH QNTAS. Effective Immediately Until Further Notice. Created: 13 SEP 22:04 2008

A0158/08 QICAS 13 ILS U/S. Effective Immediately Until Further Notice. Created: 18 SEP 16:02 2008

I can't find the "Qxxxx" abbreviations ANYWHERE on line or in books I have handy. Unless you know what it leans, you'd have no idea that the Galveston VOR (along with runway lights, ILS, fuel, buildings, etc...) are out of service pretty much until the end of time due to Ike (last September). I sure would like to see a list of all the abbreviations currently in use! Better yet - this is no longer the age of the teletype and 150 Baud lines - how about just sending everything in plain text?!

Paul

Not quite...

...I believe in this case it's

AD -- Available for daylight operation --- avbl day ops

Under the "availablity" section

And it says AD - Closed

I guess they went to the International code, which I think, is defined here -

http://www.flyingineurope.be/notam_decode.htm

A Belgium site...:) A great example of harmonization improving things...:rolleyes:

"AD" is aerodrome. The runway is being rebuilt.

http://www.tellurideairport.com/

"The runway will be closed from April 7 to November 2, 2009"
Yeh, I found that page too. Here is a quote from it.

"Telluride Regional Airport is open for business"

Yeh, right! I think the city and FAA both could be a lot clearer. Why can't we say the Telluride Airport runway is closed due to reconstruction? Since the runway is closed I really don't care that the length remaining sign is not there.

QMXXX...

...says on the previous Belgium link

Q = Notam
MX = taxiways
XX = use plain text

It's in there, but a real pain to decode....:rolleyes:

I'm with you 100% Larry!

A0028/09 QMXXX Taxiway ALL Taxiway Lights U/S. Effective Immediately Until Further Notice. Created: 13 MAR 13:44 2009

A0149/08 VUH QNTAS. Effective Immediately Until Further Notice. Created: 13 SEP 22:04 2008

A0158/08 QICAS 13 ILS U/S. Effective Immediately Until Further Notice. Created: 18 SEP 16:02 2008

I can't find the "Qxxxx" abbreviations ANYWHERE on line or in books I have handy. Unless you know what it leans, you'd have no idea that the Galveston VOR (along with runway lights, ILS, fuel, buildings, etc...) are out of service pretty much until the end of time due to Ike (last September). I sure would like to see a list of all the abbreviations currently in use! Better yet - this is no longer the age of the teletype and 150 Baud lines - how about just sending everything in plain text?!

Paul

The thing is, with weather, if there is doubt, you can get the decoded version. With NOTAMs the only possibility I see is to get a booklet with the entire list of abbreviations, and carry it around, or is there a better solution someone has found?

Yes, although it costs a bit. Weathermeister translates the NOTAMs and tells us that the "Aerodrome" is closed during such-and-such hours. Of course, you also need a smartphone or computer to read the Weathermeister site.

...and more for Paul....

Q = Notam
NT = VORTAC
AS = Unserviceable

Obivious isn't it...:eek:

I'm with you 100% Larry!

...Paul

Weathermeister

Weathermeister not only puts it in plain speak but if you check out KTEX NOTAMs it has "Aerodrome Closed" in bright red letters. Just another reason to never leave home without checking it out. I consider the price pretty insignificant compared to what it does for me in planning cross countries.

YMMV

Yes, although it costs a bit. Weathermeister translates the NOTAMs and tells us that the "Aerodrome" is closed during such-and-such hours. Of course, you also need a smartphone or computer to read the Weathermeister site.

Weathermeister not only puts it in plain speak but if you check out KTEX NOTAMs it has "Aerodrome Closed" in bright red letters. Just another reason to never leave home without checking it out. I consider the price pretty insignificant compared to what it does for me in planning cross countries.

YMMV
Those are some good recommendations for Weathermeister. Now if it only said "Airport Closed."

Good info Gil - and I always check NOTAMS on Weathermiester - but even IT can't seem to handle the "Q" stuff.....:(

good old duats

Just asked for a briefing on www.duats.com and got this:

Telluride CO (Telluride Rgnl) [TEX]: April NOTAM #22
Aerodrome closed except helicopter prior permission required 970 - 728 - 8603

That's pretty clear :).

--Paul

Perhaps the FAA...

...is issuing Notams in both formats at this time?

Here is a bit from Weathermeister for Tucson (TUS) today -

05/007 Runway 3/21 Closed. 05 MAY 13:30 2009 Until 05 MAY 23:59 2009. Created: 04 MAY 19:03 2009

A0234/09 QMRLC Runway 03/21 Closed. 05 MAY 13:30 2009 Until 05 MAY 23:59 2009. Created: 04 MAY 19:08 2009

Same data, issued in two formats 5 minutes apart.

Q = Notam
MR = Runway (specify runway)
LC = Closed

I wonder if they are attempting a transition period, or just adding data to be internationally harmonized?

Added - interestingly, the original Q Notam for TEX seems to have disappeared according to Wethermeister's report today...

KTEX
04/019 Service AWOS Out of Service. Effective Immediately Until 02 NOV 14:00 2009. Created: 07 APR 18:07 2009
04/020 Runway 27 PAPI Out of Service. Effective Immediately Until 02 NOV 23:59 2009. Created: 07 APR 21:00 2009
04/021 Navigation Runway 9 ILS Localizer DME Out of Service. Effective Immediately Until 02 NOV 23:59 2009. Created: 07 APR 21:00 2009
04/022 Aerodrome Closed Except Helicopter Prior Permission Required 970-728-8603/CTAF 123.0. Effective Immediately Until 02 NOV 14:00 2009. Created: 07 APR 21:01 2009

Last edited:
Back