What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Headliner

Mike S

Senior Curmudgeon
Here are a couple of shots of my new headliner. Just back from the upholstery shop.

P3310013.jpg

P3310014.jpg

The various sharp corners and angles were filled/covered with glued in foam pieces, and shaped to the desired contour. Then 1/4" upholstery foam was glued onto everything that was to be finished, and that was sanded to a final form. Lastly, the Ultra Leather was glued on.

Pretty hard to do this justice with a photo----lack of detail and contrasting features make this a bit of a challenge to get on film---chip??---accurately.

One bit of caution for anyone thinking of doing the same type of installation, first off, mark the doors along the inside of the opening where the cabin structure is--------the doors will not close with a quarter inch of foam in there.

Trust me on this one:mad:

Stop the soft 1/4" foam just before the line you made on the door, but continue the fabric all the way on out.

This has turned out very well, SHMBO is pleased.

Last edited:
Mike looks like a lot of fun. Looks great. Did you glue the foam to the ultra leather or the structure?

Geoff

Geoff, foam glued to structure, then covering glued to the foam.

Erich, yes, it is soft/cushy----but it is sandable.

This was done by a pro, in his shop------probably should have explained it better.

About the only thing I did was peel up ----carefully :eek:-----the glued down fabric on the door outer perimeters, and cut back the 1/4" foam. That was plenty, I can assure you. First door took about 8 hours, second about half that.

Upholstery grade contact cement is good stuff, that is until you want to remove something ---without damaging the removed part-----glued down with it.

Door seal

Nice work Mike,
Just wondering about the door seal.
Are you using Van's or an aftermarket seal?
I can't see it in the picture.
thanks.

Ernst

Hi Ernst, good to hear from you.

I am planning on the factory seal, mainly because it will cover up the raw edge of the upholstery material. Little two-for-one action;)

Also, if you look in the photos closely, you can see that I left a bit of a gap for the seal when I cut back the cushioning foam.

I also may use a secondary seal, like in Steves plane, if I find it necessary to do so.

How goes your 10??

Can you share what the specific product you used for "apolostery foam" and where you found it? I am not familiar.

Thanks

Mike Lefever

Can you share what the specific product you used for "upholstery foam" and where you found it? I am not familiar.

Thanks

Mike Lefever

Mike, sorry, I have no idea what the specifics are, it was something the shop had that they routinely use for this purpose.

Back