What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Have you used the Rivethead Canopy handle?

Rick_A

Well Known Member
I was thinking about getting a the external slider canopy handle from Rivethead Aero http://www.rivethead-aero.com/web1-1_012.htm but I have a concern about the installation. (BTW, I did get a reply that they are shipping ).

The stock handle needs to be match drilled and countersunk for the retention screw that mates it to the inner handle. The Rivethead handle looks great but I would think that countersinking the curved surface to accept the retention screw would be VERY difficult - unless it's already countersunk when you get it.

I'm interested in hearing from any one that has used this handle and what you did for the retention screw.

Thanks.

Setscrews are provided

The Rivethead handle is secured to the shaft by two hex socket set screws that are installed in the handle when you get it. No drilling of the handle is required.

I located and drilled two small dimples in the shaft to provide a more secure grip for the setscrews. When I assemble it for the last time, I will also use a drop of locktite on the setscrews.

Latch locking force and washer?

Thanks for the info. I think I'll order one.

Matt, is that a custom made derlin washer under the handle? If not, where did you get it?

The use of set screws makes me question about how tight the latch should be. Right now it takes a few pounds of force to put the latch in the closed postion. I don't think a couple of set screws (with dimples) would provide enough strength the way I have the latch set today.

I know it's hard to estimate but how much force should it take to put the latch in the closed position?

I wonder if that handle could be used in place of the crappy Van's manual aileron trim handle between the seats???

Matt, is that a custom made derlin washer under the handle? If not, where did you get it?

Sorry Rick, I have no memory of where that came from... however, I also don't remember doing anything special to get it, so I'd guess it either came with the finish kit from Van's or was included with with the handle.

I know it's hard to estimate but how much force should it take to put the latch in the closed position?

I filed carefully at my latch until I could lock and unlock it with 2-3 fingers without putting undue force on the handle. It takes roughly as much effort as opening a car door - not much preload on the latch, but enough to keep it engaged securely.

cheers,
mcb

I drilled and countersunk mine like the stock Vans. Very easy to do
looks great and it aint coming off. Don

By the way the Rivethead handle is well worth the money. I worked on the blank that Vans gives you and after a couple of hours was nowhere near what you get from Rivethead.

Last edited:
Back