What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Have a side-by-side canopy frame? You need this!

ChiefPilot

Well Known Member
I was at wits end trying to get the sliding canopy frame to fit properly on my -6A project (and have heard similar woes from -7A and -9A builders as well). Several threads here mentioned a conduit bender but I hadn't seen one of these before.

I stopped by Home Depot, and found it - it looks like this :

2e9b3b9c-32da-4e03-94a9-9ecf2348dca2_300.jpg

...and dramatically improved my ability to deal with the sliding canopy frame. I had wrestled with the frame for a total of 9 hours and made essentially zero progress using the wood blocks/clamp/"bend-it-with-your-foot" method referenced in my plans. With this tool, however, I had it fitting quite nicely inside of a couple of hours.

Well worth the $30 it cost!

That's what I used. But don't use it after you have drilled for the plexi attachment screws.

Bevan

I kinked my frame by leaning on it too much a few months back. I've had a new piece welded to it and will be getting back to it in a few weeks.

What did you do to protect the frame from scratches? I'm thinking some tape on the tool would work.

Thanks for the tip! I'll be getting one too!

Agreed that a bender would be handy, but the best tool I found was a couple of fellow builders that had done it before, plus a sturdy workbench and a few quick clamps. Together we did in 45 minutes what I wasn't able to accomplish in 30 hours solo. I wouldn't have believed it myself if I hadn't been party to the process.

I kinked my frame by leaning on it too much a few months back. I've had a new piece welded to it and will be getting back to it in a few weeks.

What did you do to protect the frame from scratches? I'm thinking some tape on the tool would work.

Thanks for the tip! I'll be getting one too!

Tape would work to protect the finish - I did not do that however and so messed up the powdercoat in a few areas. Not really a big deal but if you are not planning on painting the frame then some tape would save some refinishing work later.

If it would help, it might be possible to send me over. San Jose isn't that far from Davis. I've had some seriously valuable help on that part of my project, I should pass along the favor.

Thanks for the offer Lars. I'll keep you in mind if I arrive at my wits end.

Back