What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Has anyone used Stewart Systems Primer beyond its recommended shelf life?

eh_v8_tor

Just a Quick question on Stuart Systems Eko Prime primer paint.
I have a can of primer that is well past its prime.
It seems to cover and stick fine. Does anyone have experience with Stewart Ekco primer that is well past its recommended shelf life? are there any hazards with using it when it’s past its prime?
It seems to mix up well if you use a paint stirring device on a drill. I haven’t tried putting it through my spraygun yet, but it does seem to go on quite nicely with a sponge brush. Will I have any issues with corrosion protection, or anything else if I use this old primer?

I didn’t confirm the expiration date, but I definitely had a bad can. Ive been spraying it for years now and it always goes on so nice. Then suddenly it wasn’t. Very rough and ”sandy” finish. I talked to SS and they had me chasing down all kinds of gun settings. I finally gave up and ordered a fresh can. It went on smooth and butttery again. I concluded that other can was expired or had just turned on me.

Not really answering your question, just a data point.

Just a Quick question on Stuart Systems Eko Prime primer paint.
I have a can of primer that is well past its prime.
It seems to cover and stick fine. Does anyone have experience with Stewart Ekco primer that is well past its recommended shelf life? are there any hazards with using it when it’s past its prime?
It seems to mix up well if you use a paint stirring device on a drill. I haven’t tried putting it through my spraygun yet, but it does seem to go on quite nicely with a sponge brush. Will I have any issues with corrosion protection, or anything else if I use this old primer?
As I understand it, shelf life is a way to protect the seller from warranty issues.
If a test spray looks good, I would definitely use it.
NB: This water based paint is known to be sensitive to freezing. If left in a cold hangar, don´t use it.

Good luck

As I understand it, shelf life is a way to protect the seller from warranty issues.
If a test spray looks good, I would definitely use it.
NB: This water based paint is known to be sensitive to freezing. If left in a cold hangar, don´t use it.

Good luck

It's not water based, it's waterborne ... but to your point, it's sensitive to everything ... I found it extremely hard to get consistent results in varying Alabama summer days due to temperature and humidity. I eventually gave up on it and switched to a traditional paint system and everything went amazingly smooth. I really, really, really wanted it to work.

My review of waterborne paint in one word: frustrating

Water Based Paint: This term is somewhat of a misnomer because it suggests that the paint can be redissolved in water, which is not the case. These finishes contain water but are still solvent-based. They typically consist of a polyurethane or acrylic, a solvent (usually glycol ether), and water. After application, the water evaporates followed by the solvent, and the finish particles fuse to form a single layer1.

Waterborne Paint: In waterborne paints, water acts as the carrier for the resin instead of a chemical-based solvent. While they do contain some solvents (about 10 percent), the majority of the carrier is water. This type of paint is known for emitting significantly fewer volatile organic compounds (VOCs) compared to solvent-based paints, making them more environmentally friendly and safer23.

Ok, thank you for the input. It’s much appreciated.
I am wondering if anyone has done a durability test on this stuff, especially after it’s expiration date. I plan to spray some scrap aluminum that I will leave out in the weather, just to see how it holds up.

It's not water based, it's waterborne ... but to your point, it's sensitive to everything ... I found it extremely hard to get consistent results in varying Alabama summer days due to temperature and humidity. I eventually gave up on it and switched to a traditional paint system and everything went amazingly smooth. I really, really, really wanted it to work.

My review of waterborne paint in one word: frustrating

Water Based Paint: This term is somewhat of a misnomer because it suggests that the paint can be redissolved in water, which is not the case. These finishes contain water but are still solvent-based. They typically consist of a polyurethane or acrylic, a solvent (usually glycol ether), and water. After application, the water evaporates followed by the solvent, and the finish particles fuse to form a single layer1.

Waterborne Paint: In waterborne paints, water acts as the carrier for the resin instead of a chemical-based solvent. While they do contain some solvents (about 10 percent), the majority of the carrier is water. This type of paint is known for emitting significantly fewer volatile organic compounds (VOCs) compared to solvent-based paints, making them more environmentally friendly and safer23.

Sorry to hear that. I was using the more toxic stuff, but I will never switch back to it if I can get good results with waterborne paint. We’ve already had cancer once too many times.
Most of the time we have the heat on in my shop here in Southern Ontario, Canada. The temperature and humidity stays pretty consistent, so I’ve had good results once I figured out how to dial the gun in to get thin light coats (especially the first one).

Sorry to hear that. I was using the more toxic stuff, but I will never switch back to it if I can get good results with waterborne paint. We’ve already had cancer once too many times.
Most of the time we have the heat on in my shop here in Southern Ontario, Canada. The temperature and humidity stays pretty consistent, so I’ve had good results once I figured out how to dial the gun in to get thin light coats (especially the first one).

I got pretty good at the "tack coats" but here it starts the day with relatively low humidity and then ramps pretty quick. If I was to get up at 3:00am it would have probably worked better for me.

Back