What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Has anyone completed/submitted an A&P request to the FSDO post the Jul 31st, 2023 rule changes?

AX-O

Well Known Member
I am trying to find out how to best pursue an application to the FSDO based on my building experience and some of the other experience gained. I have read AC 65-30B and the FAA guidance. if you have additional info, I would be appreciative. Thank you.

I did a search on VAF but nothing available with the latest FAA knowledge requirements and re-allowance of experimental aircraft work.

I don't believe the requirements changed, just that building an EAB could be counted. I never found a cookie cutter list of requirements. The closest thing was a suggestion that experience in 51% of the A&P school curriculum knowledge areas was sufficient. I wound up with a recommendation letter from the IA that supervised me for 15 years and a log of what I'd done over 45 years of aircraft ownership. A single build may count but I doubt it alone will be sufficient. Good luck.

If I understand correctly, the rules are now once again similar to what they were when I did mine. My experken e over several decades is that the acceptability of “experince” is very much dependent on the individual FSDO inspector that signs off your Paperwork. There is a lot of judgement, and having an inspector that you know - and more importantly - knows you and your background will count for a lot in what your have to document. In my case, I had a letter from the IA I worked with for many years who attested to my experience, as well as the logs for building three airplanes. I think the most important thing about the logs was that it provided proof of the “hours” requirements, since back then I actually logged my work hours (I don’t do that anymore).

The toughest thing to prove isn’t airframe experience, it is on teh powerplant side. My inspector was happy with the fact that I’d been to a couple of manufacturuer’s schools and overhauled several different engines. Doing FWF installations doesn’t cut it - that isn’t “engine work” as much as it is integration.

My experince says to make friends with a helpful FSDO inspector !

Paul

Not sure of your ultimate goal but just wanted to point out to anyone else reading, an A&P doesn't have to be an all or none. Going off of Paul's point about difficulty on the powerplant experience, you can apply for just the Airframe license and work on the powerplant portion in the future. In the mean time I would suggest documenting any sort of engine maintenance such as oil changes, adjusting dry tappet clearance, compression checks, or even checking mag timing.

What Paul said about a friend at the FSDO. It has been more than a decade ago that I had one ready to recommend me to go the IA route.

I asked during my Repairman's Certificate appointment. He wasn't sure and when he asked in the office a 'cheat sheet' was produced dictating experience in the different areas. It was mentioned 'how much engine experience do you actually have?' along the lines of what Paul mentioned above. I was told to keep track of experience especially during my condition inspections and when I could show experience in the different areas to track him down, since I had already proved my experience via the build. Never hurts to ask, you might catch them in a good mood, and worse case you will leave knowing exactly what they want to sign off on the experience portion. Good Luck

I asked during my Repairman's Certificate appointment. He wasn't sure and when he asked in the office a 'cheat sheet' was produced dictating experience in the different areas. It was mentioned 'how much engine experience do you actually have?' along the lines of what Paul mentioned above. I was told to keep track of experience especially during my condition inspections and when I could show experience in the different areas to track him down, since I had already proved my experience via the build. Never hurts to ask, you might catch them in a good mood, and worse case you will leave knowing exactly what they want to sign off on the experience portion. Good Luck
There's apparently always been a lot of personal "judgement" among the inspectors. My IA mentor said when he was trying to get approved for the A&P, the inspector initially denied him. When he asked for a letter with the specific deficiencies suddenly the inspector changed his mind and signed him off. It's worth a try if it happens to you.

Adding some info.

Applicable AC link specifically paragraph 11.5 on page 7. **demonstrate 30-month of experience and meet at least 50% of the subject areas listed in the ACS (post 31 Jul 2023 change).

Back