What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hartzell prop..

nzrv8

Well Known Member
Hi All,

In my never ending search for a cheap engine/prop combo for my RV-8, I have come across an angle valve IO360 core that comes with a Hartzell prop, but I can't seem to find any info on the prop and if it would be suitable for my 8!

Can anyone help?

Model:HC-2YK 4F/FC 7666A-2

Cheers!

Hugh

Hugh,

Not an expert here by any means but I'm wondering if you have the full model number. I'll take a stab at decoding it.

The first part of the number ( HC-2YK 4F ) describes the hub type, which may be missing a letter.

HC = Hartzell controllable
( ) = missing info refers to hub style. RV's typically use C (compact style)
2 = 2 blades
Y= Y type shank blade retention system ( Y or R is common)
K = 6 x 1/2 inch prop attach bolts ( Lycoming 360-540 series)
4 = oil pressure to low pitch, counterweights to high pitch Typically used on hard core aerobatic aircraft, (not RVs)
F = Large pitch change knob, fork

The slash is the dividing line between hub and blade description

The FC 7666-2 describes the blade.

F = Large pitch change knob
C = counterweighted Y-shank
76 = inital design length of 76 inches
66 = refers to blade design (airfoil etc)
A = modified blade
-2 = shortened by two inches (overall length when new = 74 inches)

My interpretation of the above may contain errors. See...
http://hartzellprop.com/wp-content/uploads/159-0000-R39-AW.pdf

I would be happy to be corrected.

I don't think this is the right prop for an RV8 because it is an aerobatic feathering prop.

Bevan

Last edited:
I don't think this is the right prop for an RV8 because it is an aerobatic feathering prop.

Bevan

I think Bevan is correct on this point. Also it is possible that, as the prop and engine came as a unit, they might both have been used for serious aerobatics. Considerable caution is advised here.

Hugh, it is pretty hard to go past the Vans spec IO360M1B and the Hartzell prop. Plus you get a good discount for both. Despite what you think might be a good deal.

If you want something a little customised, go to see Andrew Denyer at Riverina Airmotive, he will build what you want and you can participate in the build.

He is the choice of Matt Hall Racing. No BS, good honest supplier. Best engine guy in the southern hemisphere I reckon.

Thanks for the replies. He has a few engines to choose from, one of them being new-old stock, so its out of calendar time. If anything I will go for this engine, rather than a cheap mid-lifer or core that has been working hard in the box! I'll steer clear of the props. Thanks for your advice!

Hugh

It turns out this combo came from a Scottish Aviation Bulldog (aerobatic trainer). Thanks again for the help!

Back