What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hartzell Prop Governor Instructions

CharlieWaffles

Well Known Member
Oy vey, we are definitely waiding into the areas where Van's get really vague on their instructions. In the FFWF kit, Page FF1-4 says "Install the XXXXXXXX (prop governor) to the front of the engine per the instructions supplied with the governor."

I have the FFWF kit from Vans and it is a Hartzell Prop Governor, but no instructions in the FFWF box, and none in the governor box. Just a test tag and gasket sealed inside the governor oiled bag.

Any pointers?

Hmm - I got the MT governer in my kit but it should just be 4 nuts onto the studs with the gasket........

Yea, mine was Hartzell. Does the gasket need to be greased? Standard Torque on the nuts? Is there any more to it than that?

Just dug out my MT instructions:

"Coat gasket with engine oil or equivalent" - "torque the mounting nuts to 20-24nm [180-220in-lb]"

Can't see why the Hartzell would be any different.

The gasket will have an arc with a screen in it. The screen "bulges" to one side. The screen should bulge into the governor, not into the engine.

Also, there is some kind of special "release" compound that you can use instead of grease. Ostensibly, a few years from now when you need to fix the small leak that will occur, the gasket will "release" more easily, and not stick to the mounting pad.

Good to know, but is there a written source for any of this? Just wondering if Hartzell has this published or if Vans should have included something.

Mark,

You're in good hands now! Les is one of the "good guys" that provides outstanding support.

I had the same questions as you when I got the Hartzell governor in my FWF kit. He sent me the manual and offered to drive an hour to help install it. Fortunately, there was no need as after reading the manual everything was pretty intuitive.

bob

Just got a copy - seems very straight forward. Exactly what I was hoping to find. Didn't realize there was a seperate website for the prop guys!

Just dug out my MT instructions:

"Coat gasket with engine oil or equivalent" - "torque the mounting nuts to 20-24nm [180-220in-lb]"

Can't see why the Hartzell would be any different.

Glad I checked the Hartzell instructions, they spec 18-20 ft-lbs (24.5-27.1nm).

These numbers are nearly the same, but in general read the fine print. It says to use the engine manufacturer's numbers. Or use their numbers if you have nothing else. This is a Lycoming stud and nut, I'd use Lycoming's torque numbers.

Back