What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hartzell Governor Overhaul

Carlos151

Well Known Member
Friend
Just found a small oil leak coming from the shaft on my Hartzell S-1-10 prop governor that I purchased new from Vans to put on my IO-360. Time in service is around 650 hours. I know there was a service bulletin to replace an o-ring on that shaft at the next overhaul opportunity. So I figured I'd get some quotes for an overhaul since I got everything apart for this years condition inspection. The real shocker came from Hartzell themselves. Just got quoted $1235 plus any parts and expendables. Double checked with them since Vans Aircraft lists a brand new governor for $2040. Hartzell's list price for the same governor is an eye popping $7979. So at those prices I'm inclined to buy a new in stock governor from Vans.

Anyone have a shop they can recommend for a Hartzell governor overhaul that doesn't charge an arm and a leg and has a decent turnaround time?

I used Sensenich Prop service in GA for my recent Hartzell re-seal and had a good experience...they also overhaul governors, I think base overhaul price is around $1k

Karl, have you tried Southcoast propeller? they overhauled mine and that was about what I paid.
Not yet, I'll give them a shout. Leaning towards a brand new governor straight from Vans for just a few hundred more dollars than overhauling my current one. Most every shop I have contacted is in the $1300 range "unless" they find something else that needs replacing inside.

I'm a little late posting but I just had a Woodward governor overhauled for $765 at Redline Aviation in Akron, CO. Turnaround was about a week.

You can reach Dan at 720-272-4356

Last edited:
Back