What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hartzel Prop Governor Question for -6A

WenEng

Well Known Member
Patron
I haven't got to the firewall forward yet, but here's my question. My 800 hour IO360 came with a Hartzel F2-7A prop governor. Does anyone have that governor mounted? I was wondering if it's useable or if I need to think about getting a newer one. This was an engine off a piper arrow and I had the rear facing sump replaced with a superior cold air induction forward facing sump for the bendix servo. I have purchased the Whirlwind 200RV composite prop.
Thanks.

I will Look

I am not sure of what is on my -6, but I will look next time I am at the hangar. I have an O-360-A1A and the dreaded Hartzell C/S prop that was bought from Van's in the early 90's. I have had no problems with the governor and it seems to maintain excellent RPM control.
The big question is if your governor will be acceptable with your W/W prop. How about if we trade props to ease your worries??!!
Good Luckl!

Gov.

I haven't got to the firewall forward yet, but here's my question. My 800 hour IO360 came with a Hartzel F2-7A prop governor. Does anyone have that governor mounted? I was wondering if it's useable or if I need to think about getting a newer one. This was an engine off a piper arrow and I had the rear facing sump replaced with a superior cold air induction forward facing sump for the bendix servo. I have purchased the Whirlwind 200RV composite prop.
Thanks.

Get an A&P to check the type certificate data sheet to be absolutly positive; but I have a McCauley prop from an Arrow IO-360 on my IO-360 powered RV-8. The engine I have came off a Mooney 201. The TCDS for the prop is ok with either engine.

The IO-360 engine you have is probably a C1C. It could have come with either the McCauley or Hartzel prop.

The WW props used to use McCauley hubs and may still do. A call to them can verify suitability too.

I think you should be ok. The govenor is just a mechanical gizmo that is too dumb not to work correctly unless something internally goes haywire.:D

My engine was IO360B1E before changing sumps.

Ameritech tells me the Hartzell governor works with the WW200RV prop ok. I'm just thinking about clearances and lever changes that might have had to be made to work in the -6A. The PCU and MT governors look smaller and that usually tells me there is a space issue, but maybe not. I'm also looking at the original alternator and is looks pretty big too. But, the arrow cowling was pretty sleek so that might be ok too. We'll see when I get the finish kit which was ordered today!!

Hartzel governor on my 6a

I just mounted my Hartzel model: F-3-1A governor on my 6A and it fit. But I had to rotate the end piece 180 degrees. This involves taking off the 4 back nuts and pulling the back out far enough that you can rotate it. I haven't made a mount for control cable yet. That'll be the next step.

Thanks for the info

I had no idea how to go about changing the lever. I haven't got to the place yet where I stare at the prop governor like I stared at the rest of my build.:)

Back