What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hartwell oil door latches

vbpiper

Well Known Member
I have installed 2 Hartwell latches for my oil door, but I am wondering if people are installing aluminum strips on the cowl for the latches to grab on to, or if the fiberglass lip is strong enough to withstand the force of the latches. Any ideas?
Thanks.

I've got a single hartwell latch in the middle of my door...and it only has the fiberglass to hang on to. A good friend of mine is doing the same thing with his oil door setup (he's using a Van's cowl, mine is Sam James) but he's using the round push-button type latch. I think it may look better than mine! Either way, one latch is enough to hold the door on, and you shouldn't need an aluminum strip.

Ditto. If you already have it installed without the strip, you should be okay. I've done it both ways and both worked fine.

Hartwell Latches

: I installed two Hartwell latches on oil door of my RV-6 when it was built in 1997. I did use aluminum insert for the latch to catch on. Now, ten years and 800 hours later it is all still working fine. Latches themselves have help up well, and the metal strip has not worn away. I think that in time to come the catch would wear through the fiberglass. Also I am impressed by the quality and durability of the Hartwell latches. They are great.
This is one thing I have not been able to understand about Van's aircraft. For them to be so particular about having a "slick" airframe, I have always wondered why they put those little thumb screws up on top of the cowling for the oil door. It is not much drag, but it is some, and it looks awful. Hartwell latches remedy the problem.
Hope you fly soon. gclark

Because Mr. Van is the epitome of simplicity and.....er.....cheapness. A Hartwell latch is wayyy too expensive for him to use.:D

Back