What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hard to reach rivets on the btm skin

JanRV6UK

Well Known Member
Hi
I am busy riveting the bottom skin on my RV6 wing - I have one or possibly two rivets that are "almost" impossible to get a bucking bar on the back of - With a #40 CS hole - What types of pull rivets are the best to use here ?

Maybe a CCR264 as they are avialable in -3 dia ? or opening up the hole to a #30 and use a Reduced head CS CherryMAX ??

Jan

I suggest that you open up the hole to 1/8 and use one of the supplied countersunk rivets (LP-4 I think?)
These (surprisingly) can be used, according to the construction manual, to rivet the entire bottom wing skins.
Bill Brooks
Ottawa, Canada
RV-6A finishing kit

Hi
I am busy riveting the bottom skin on my RV6 wing - I have one or possibly two rivets that are "almost" impossible to get a bucking bar on the back of - With a #40 CS hole - What types of pull rivets are the best to use here ?

MK-319-BS (Added words for stupid posting rule!)

By any chance,......

Were these by the outboard hinges?
Its been a while but those were the nasty ones.
I think I ended up using some cr3214-4's

Hi Tom

I can see it will be hard to drive arround the outer aileron bracket - At the moment I am strugling to reach one or two rivets at the 5th rib - Next to the spar flange. I was skratching my head last night regarding how to reach and hold the bucking bar at the same time. Going home from work today I came up with the idea of taping the small bucking bar to my fingers and try and hold it that way ...!!

Jan

Half man half bucking bar ... This worked ...inner btm skin is riveted in place

halfmanhalfbucking98820.jpg

Now it is just the outer skin left to do ...

Thanks for feedback on pull rivet types

The inboard skin has a lot of tight spots, but in my opinion the outboard skin is much harder to rivet. The inboard 0.032 skin is much more forgiving of mistakes. Be careful not to flex the OB skin to much while peeling it back to reach inside, it is pretty easy to crease.

The inboard skin has a lot of tight spots, but in my opinion the outboard skin is much harder to rivet. The inboard 0.032 skin is much more forgiving of mistakes. Be careful not to flex the OB skin to much while peeling it back to reach inside, it is pretty easy to crease.

Yes I am looking at this today ... some tight spots ...

Jan

I'm ready to rivet the top skin on my right wing. We'll se if I can get the wife out to the garage with it below freezing in there. I think the odds are against me.

Back