What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hard points and other musings

Andrew M

Well Known Member
I finally got back from my aircraft recovery project. It is good to be home working on Real Airplane parts. Here are the horizontal stabilizer main and nose ribs modified to accept additional vertical stabilizer parts if I put this airplane on floats

P3130001.JPG

More photos on the blog

I got to talking to the engineer we use at work. I asked Peter if he ever worked on homebuilt stuff. He kind of rolled his eyes and said "I don't know, if it's interseting. What have you got?" I showed him my ribs and told him of my ambitions. It turns out he has done some work on the RV-9 wing. He and I go back about five yers to a job I had in Oregon, doing the airframe mods on Aero Commanders for the dash 10 Garret conversion. How we work is I go as far as I can creating repairs using data from the manuals as a guide, and he does the numbers and lets me know of any problems. Usually fastener count or location. So it looks like I will have the help I need to pursue my other mods.
The other really cool thing is my 13 year old son has gotten himself involved in "Build a Plane" in Talkeetna AK. They are putting together a Cheroke 6. He is more interested in the airplane stuff because his friends are into it, and Dad is happy other adults are there to encourage him because sometimess, you know, what Dad does is just something boring that Dad does. LOL.

Last edited:
more photos

Finnished the Horizontal stab today, (less fiberglass). Here are in and out photos of the H.S. nutplate mod.
P3270010.JPG

P3270011.JPG

P3260008.JPG

I also discovered that my son is a natural bucker. He takes care of mass and momentum, I take care of power and duration. After about 50 rivets, I told him asked him not to say anything unless something is wrong. The remainder of the session was spent talking about other cool things, like grenade wars on HALO ODST! (he still kicks my rear end).
Feels good to have someone in the house that just seems to have a knack for this kind of thing.
My engineer has another vert stab idea for me but I need some info before I can proceed. Could someone please measure the obtuse angle formed betweent the leading edge of the vertical stabilizer and the top of the aft fuselage in profie?
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Back