What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hanging the Rudder Pedals

JohnF

Well Known Member
I finally got the rudder pedals hung. In spite of a lot of padding over that sharp edge of the forward part of the seat area my poor ribs took a beating.
The "level" part of the tunnel sides had to be slightly cut (1/8") in order to have the horizontal sections of the pedal assembly go forward enough to align with the nutplates that the assembly is bolted into. I am of the opinion that the assembly sequence should be changed so that the pedal assembly is attached to the overhead panel before they both are riveted to the fuselage.

Putting in the rudder pedal assembly has got to have been to most awkward and difficullt part of building the RV-12 so far, and I have the wings and tail cone connected to the fuselage now. They were easy compared to the pedal hanging.

I just finished the rudder pedal assembly today. I set them aside with the intention of waiting until the interior paint and wiring goes in - but after reading your post I wonder if I should trail fit the assembly now so I know it will go in easily later. The fuselage sides are not on yet and I can easily roll the fuselage up on its side for access. Your thoughts?

Trial fit them if you think you have to check them for fit. Mine fit just fine with no adjustments. BUT remove them and leave them out until all wiring is done. It is much more difficult to install the wiring with the pedals installed. Only install them when the time is right.

Also I painted my firewall on the interior. I may have made a mistake. The consensus seems to be to leave the stainless steel firewall unpainted. Fumes, etc. if an engine fire, god forgive.

Last edited:
Hey guys

As one of the early builders, several of us decided they should wait until TAXI TIME. They always seem to be in the way. A trial sliding into place would be OK, but don't install them until you have to. You guys can use the new wire-way housing, that will help too. Think I had mine out 4 times.

John Bender

Can go easier

I waited until all the wiring was in including the static tubing (the tailcone in place). At this stage the fuselage was still fairly easy to tip up on its side, my wife and I handled it OK. Then assembled the rudder pedal parts including the bolts and washers partially inserted into the plastic blocks with bits of duct tape to keep everything generally together. With the fuse on its side just stand there comfortably and insert the pedal assembly into place, push the bolts into the nutplates and tighten. No pain, and I only did it once. I only hope I don't have to take them out for some reason.

Tony

With fuselage upside down

It is even easier working on the rudder pedals with the fuselage upside down, than with the fuselage is on its side. Upside down, gravity helps hold parts together. The best part of having the fuselage upside down is that you can sit under it. It is as easy as sitting at your work bench, or for some builders, as easy as sitting at the bar. :) Although the wireway and most of the wiring can be installed with the rudder in place, there is not enough room for cables with big ends like the BNC connectors to fit above the rudder torque tubes. My advice for installing rudder pedals is to:
1. Turn the fuselage upside down.
2. Paint the area first if desired.
3. Install wiring.
4. Install plumbing.
5. Install rudder pedals last before turning the fuselage right side up.
Joe

I decided to trial fit the pedals. They went in pretty easy at the stage I'm at with the fuselage side skins still off. All was well except those AN3-22 bolts seem to be too long when assembled with the recommended one thin washer under the head of the bolt. The bolt bottoms out in the nutplate before the plastic block is tight against the shelf. Had to put two full size washers under the heads. No big deal, but it makes me wonder if anyone else experienced this.

Washers between blocks

Big John,
Did you put washers between the plastic blocks to fill the saw kerf? Also notice that revision 31-13 shows part F-12125C under the center-block bolts.
Joe

Big John,
Did you put washers between the plastic blocks to fill the saw kerf? Also notice that revision 31-13 shows part F-12125C under the center-block bolts.
Joe

Joe,

Yes, I put the washers in between the blocks. I don't have the finish kit yet so don't know about 31-13. Maybe that's the reason for the longer bolts. When I get to putting the rudders in for good I can adjust washers as necessary. Thanks for the info.

John

Back