What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hanging tailcone for storage?

DonMcKee

Patron
I'm almost done with my RV-14A aft fuselage, and am thinking about how to store it. My plan is to hang it horizontally, and upside down, from my garage ceiling. I'm thinking that I'll install an eyebolt in the tiedown bracket, and use that to suspend the aft end of the tailcone. I'm unsure of the best/easiest/"good enough" way to suspend the forward end, without fear of damaging the skins, etc.

It seems that I can just use rope around the fuse, with a loop on the top for a hook, and something between the rope and skin to prevent scuffing (thin packing foam? towels?). I'd center the rope at the forward-most F-01407 bulkhead, and do something to keep it there (duct tape?).

Do you see anything I should be concerned about with this strategy? Would you recommend that I do something different?

This is how I suspended mine. I made a Y-bridle and attached then through the holes on the HS attach bars. One central line to hang that. Then two lines to a suspended 2x4 to hold up the forward end. It is very secure, but I am careful to not move it around too much. All ropes are led along the ceiling via blocks to a central ring that then goes off on one line to a wall mounted cleat. I can move the entire empennage up or down very easily. I do a lot of sailing and so I had extra blocks and line.
empennage.jpgempennage2.jpg

Back