What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hanging Engine Prep

ColoradoSolar

Well Known Member
I am getting ready to hang my engine but I am having analysis paralysis on what all ti get done before I hang the engine. I know I need to apply the fire barrier sealant to the firewall but I am not sure of what else I should get done that will be easier without the engine installed. If anyone has any advice it would be appreciated.

Not sure about the specifics of the 10 but....plan and install the firewall penetrations for wiring, engine/prop control cables, install cabin heat boxes and controls, alt air cable, oil shutter and control, brake fluid reservoir install (if on the FF), install manifold for oil and fuel transducers, MAP sensor install, gascolator (if used) etc Basically, do any firewall penetrations and installations you can before installing the engine. Put the mount on temporarily in order to work things around it.

Now's also a good time to seal up around the inter-cylinder baffles with RTV. They're easier to get at with no cables, exhaust pipes, or other hardware in the way.

Consider ordering and mounting the fuel pump cooling shroud. This is far easier to install with the engine off the airplane. Wish I had thought to do it!

It’s not the end of the world if you mount it and need to take it off. I’d recommend leaving the cotter pins out until you are sure it’s on there for the last time. Just be sure to put the cotter pins in before you fly.

If you haven't installed the oil cooler mount, VA-186, do that before the engine...it is much easier to access.

Back